Is this an amazing deal, or a scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by techlover828, May 3, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

These go for like 200, do you think I should buy this?

I mean, I probably wouldn't keep it, but I might, it looks pretty slick, do you think this is a scam though?

2. m1stake macrumors 68000

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Sometimes there are good deals on craigslist. But most of the time not.
    If you are really interested you should get in touch and see it first (as with all electronic sales). If you can't see it first, the person happens to be out of the country or they will only accept wire transfers or payment first before shipment then you just need to walk away.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Doesn't hurt to contact (if you use a disposable email), but very small chance to be real at that price.

Most likely it's just some scam to acquire your email address to send you spam, or to get you give out your personal information, or try to get you to send money out of the area.

If you can see it in the area, go see it. Otherwise scam.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

That's a total scam since the computer he's listing will go for, very easily, $1700 to $1800 near-mint condition.

Again, if it sounds too good to be true...it's usually not.

6. jonswan macrumors regular

Total crap - ignore it. His rotten English is also a giveaway...

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Good advice her. Bottom line- and ALWAYS remember this- Craigslist is for FACE TO FACE transactions. That is why CL has som many "local" sub-sites- for you to find something local Not only does this save shipping, but allows you to check it out. ANYTHING from out of the area, or that involves shipping is NOT what CL is for, and is almost 100% of the time a scam.

OK to pay cash. Meet in a public place. I bought a laptop on CL- it CAN be done. We met at a grocery store, I checked it out, good machine, so we walked into the store, went to the bank, pulled the cash then and there, gave it to the man- EVERYONE HAPPY. And everyone protected.

So contact. The second the person tells you he is at school in Liverpool, walk away. Or report it to the FBI Fraud department, To CL (there is a link right on the page) and to Liverpool (or whoever) PD.

8. johnnyvenom macrumors newbie

It smells like a scam

A Blu-ray DVD RW for $500? Yes, there's a laptop included, but the bd drive was a dead give away that it's a scam. Also, perhaps my eyesight is poor, but why is there a cloth over the keyboard? Dust protection or is he hiding something that would expose the laptop in the picture as another model? Don't do it man, find another seller.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Could be, but I just interpreted that as being an indicator of how new the laptop is, that the foam sheet is still there. (When I bought my first laptop, I was so proud of it that I babied it, keeping the little foam sheet for months...)

That said, if you even have to ask "is this an amazing deal, or is this a scam?" then you have your answer...

10. Razmo macrumors newbie

It sounds like this "fell off a truck" or something like that - good price if you deal in person but good luck getting warranty service.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

maybe it's a typo.....

HAHAHA...not

I mean there is no penalty for calling and trying to meet the person...