Is this an early sign of possible SSD failure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steve23094, Mar 1, 2017.

1. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I'm getting a number of bad sectors reported on one of my SSDs. Is this an early sign of possible failure? Is this a lot in a short time? I understand that SSDs will report bad sectors and move data to another location.

I haven't found anything definitive on the web about how many bad sectors on a SSD are bad news or no worries. I checked my other SSDs and they are not reporting any bad sectors.

The drive is not that old, less than a year. It's used as a cache in a NAS.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 13.31.58.png Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 13.32.35.png Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 13.32.45.png Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 13.34.03.png

2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

It's worth a conversation with the OEM if it's only a year old.

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, considering your drive is newer. I have SSDs that had rapidly rising reallocated sector counts as the SSDs were approaching the end of the service life after extensive usage (which does not apply here.) To my understanding of SMART, the reallocated sector count shows that the 163 bad blocks have been successfully shut down and remapped using blocks from some of the overprovisioning space. While that presumably corresponds to a very small fraction of the available extra space, I have read from (and was later told by) Micron that they recommend contacting them if one has a newer drive with few writes and an actively increasing reallocated sector count. So, based on my limited understanding here, the Maker may feel that the number of bad blocks relative to the usage conditions is abnormal.

Does the Maker of your drive make their own SSD App? If so, have you tried seeing what their in-house application says?

4. steve23094 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve23094

I contacted the manufacturer (Hynix), they told me to contact the reseller. I spoke to the reseller, they asked me to send it back to be 'tested', but they thought it was unusual. It's a pain to pull it out but it sounds like it might get replaced.