Is this an iPad Pro or Pencil issue? (Notability)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TorontoJen, May 17, 2016.

1. TorontoJen macrumors newbie

I just purchased a 12.9 iPad a few days ago and have been handwriting notes using Notability with no issues.

Yesterday, I started getting missing lines in my letters, where the pencil just seems to drop out for a second and leave a tiny gap. The pencil is charged, the screen is clean, and I rebooted it. Still get the same issue every so many sentences. It's not a huge deal but it is distracting.

Not sure what device I should be troubleshooting. Or is it the app?

Any tips? Or maybe those who use Notability can tell me if this is common?

Thanks so much.

2. kevroc macrumors 6502

I use notability every day and have not noticed this. You might want to randomly try another writing app when you notice it happening to see if it might be the app or if it's ipad / pencil related.

3. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

4. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

I also use Notability a lot for a couple of years now. I never experienced such an issue with my regular stylus. As the others said:

• try to recreate the issue when using other handwriting apps
    • reinstall Notability
    • ask the Notability team for advice

Good luck!

5. mostro900 macrumors member

sounds more like the issue I'm having with NotesPlus, not Notability...

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I think I experience this issue once in a while, I think. Basically, it's like writing with a pen that seems to run out of ink every few seconds.

In my (limited) experience, the problem seems to stem when my Apple Pencil comes in contact with water. Bit of background, as a teacher, I use my ipad in the classroom and have a habit of spitting when I talk. If my Apple Pencil comes in contact with the saliva stains on the ipad screen, there is a tendency for the ipad to not register the writing from my Apple Pencil.

However, the problem only happens very infrequently, and goes away after a short while. You can try writing in another app like Notes or PDF expert and see if the problem replicates itself.

7. LCPepper macrumors 6502

LCPepper

I use notability all the time, and I have to say that I have never experienced this in normal usage.

I did at one point when I'd been messing with twiddling the tip of the Apple Pencil... This can cause detection issues apparently.

Make sure that the tip of your pencil is properly screwed in, see if that makes a difference.

8. Snarl macrumors member

I've had a similar issue but in my case the Tip was a little loose, snugged it up and all was okay.

9. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

I use Notabilty almost daily. It has become my favorite note taking and PDF app. (I have a lot of them) Anyway, I have never experienced this at all. I would guess there may be an issue with the pencil.

10. Wildkraut macrumors 6502

Heh a spitting teacher, the nightmare of every student. Poor students, poor iPad... ;)