Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I don't think it matters. All the seller needs to do is go to http://www.icloud.com/find (on an actual computer) and remove the device from his account. The OP reboots the iPhone and it's now his.

Yes, Apple's instructions say what to do if the phone has been restored. It still works, just not through the iOS app. Now he has to use a computer.

But I have no reason to believe that he will actually do that. I mean, he's telling me that he just got back into the country today (though he was in New Orleans just four days ago) and is leaving the country tomorrow. Who does that? Why would anyone fly all the way back to the US just to turn around and fly abroad again the very next day? Everything he says stretches the limits of belief.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
But I have no reason to believe that he will actually do that. I mean, he's telling me that he just got back into the country today (though he was in New Orleans just four days ago) and is leaving the country tomorrow. Who does that? Why would anyone fly all the way back to the US just to turn around and fly abroad again the very next day? Everything he says stretches the limits of belief.

That's actually not unheard of as it describes many frequent travelers, especially on business trips. But whether it's true or he's lying, your sole concern should be to get him to remove the device from his iCloud account or get your money back.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
OP you need to open a case with ebay. simple.

I did do that, requesting a refund from the start. He's been either non-responsive or evasive this whole time, so then I said to him directly in a message that I would like for him to initiate a refund. I then said it again in my voicemail. I just got another reply from him, saying he is on his way to a computer. So he doesn't want to do the refund.

UPDATE: He finally decided to release the phone! It's free and clear now. But it still has the scratches and dent, of course. :(

Last edited:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I did do that, requesting a refund from the start. He's been either non-responsive or evasive this whole time, so then I said to him directly in a message that I would like for him to initiate a refund. I then said it again in my voicemail. I just got another reply from him, saying he is on his way to a computer. So he doesn't want to do the refund.

UPDATE: He finally decided to release the phone! It's free and clear now. But it still has the scratches and dent, of course. :(

Sweet!
Enjoy your iPhone. Glad it worked out for you.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Sweet!
Enjoy your iPhone. Glad it worked out for you.

Um. Thanks? I mean, I feel like I just lost a day of my life trying to get this guy to communicate and cooperate. And I'm really not thrilled with the scratched up screen. But yeah, at least it's not a brick now. I still need to test it and make sure everything works (camera, etc.).

Amazing what people will go through to save a few bucks on an iPhone, but glad it worked out. Enjoy.

Well, a few HUNDRED bucks and then some: $342.50 in savings to be exact! That's a good wad of cash to put toward Christmas gifts.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that the seller is just a busy guy and not the baddie that the threads set him up to be?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Am I the only one who thinks that the seller is just a busy guy and not the baddie that the threads set him up to be?

I'm sure you're not the only one, but really, the burden is on the seller to ensure that he is able to meet the reasonable expectations of a buyer. If he can't do that much, he should delegate to someone who can do it on his behalf.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.

he could have said he was extremely busy on his first email response and that he would look into the matter soon.

instead, he went on about needing to "regroup" and what not, leaving the OP in the dark.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That was going to be my next question, so thanks for the advice. That is what I'll do, assuming that when the back-up finishes, I don't find anything else wrong with the phone.

I would leave a low feedback.

Condition promised is x, condition received is y.

Took x days, x emails, x messages, x phone calls for user to release phone.

It takes under one minute to release the phone. It's unlikely that the seller doesn't have access to computers for multiple days.

Last edited:

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
That was going to be my next question, so thanks for the advice. That is what I'll do, assuming that when the back-up finishes, I don't find anything else wrong with the phone.

just be honest - and don't get emotional over it.

point out he was difficult to reach after you bought the phone and that without his assistance you couldn't access it due to being locked with a password. mention that noticeable scratches were not mentioned on the product description.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Man what a pain.
Glad it worked out for you in the end bro.
Just not sure if all this bs and agrevation was worth it.
The genius just send you his phone without removing his iCloud account and without even restoring with still his passcode lock on.
I'd leave him negative feedback. Maybe next time he will do what he's suppose to instead of puting the buyer through hell.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
But he hasn't offered to refund anything. Should I be asking for a partial refund?

Oh I confused "$342.50 in savings to be exact" with refund.

Perhaps ask for a partial refund if you think it's not as described.
However, description only mentioned "excellent condition," and that doesn't say much.

Maybe account for your time spent. Anyway as I said, as long as you stick with the facts, he can't get your review removed.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
When I sell iPhones on eBay, I always ship them with passcode locked. Then the buyer is required to ask me me for the code. That way the buyer has a harder time trying scam me saying they just got an empty box. Sad we have to resort to such things.

I just sold my 32g i5 for $500 and the buyer paid with paypal echeck. I waited for it to clear, used paypal shipping and had sig on delivery. All went fine, they left positive feedback and then tried to charge back the payment. Because I did every thing by the book, today I won the "case" and lost nothing. I will now however start shipping pass code locked even though they didn't say they didn't get it. I also always take a an un-edited video from working phone including IMEI, to boxing to dropping in the bin. That way it's impossible for them to say you shipped them rocks.

Wow, eBay really is a can of worms. :(
Never had an issue... well people have tried to scam me but I cover my asp so there's no way I'll lose.
I can't believe people STILL buy through eBay. Most cell phone sales are complete scams.
How many threads like this does it take for people to learn? If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
Never had an issue. Sorry your experience is different.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just sold my 32g i5 for $500 and the buyer paid with paypal echeck. I waited for it to clear, used paypal shipping and had sig on delivery. All went fine, they left positive feedback and then tried to charge back the payment. Because I did every thing by the book, today I won the "case" and lost nothing. I will now however start shipping pass code locked even though they didn't say they didn't get it. I also always take a an un-edited video from working phone including IMEI, to boxing to dropping in the bin. That way it's impossible for them to say you shipped them rocks.

I only had one chargeback attempt. I won that too.

Good documentation FTW.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I've been offered partial refunds before. Generally in response to my initiating a concern directly first with the seller, although it has occurred via initiating an "item not as described" via eBay.

In this case I would mention I was having severe second thoughts on keeping the phone. First because the incredible difficulty in trying to get it activated. But second, and far more permanent, because of the unmentioned dent and screen scratch.

I would still attempt to walk away from this deal, but a not-insignificant 'rebate' would allow me to resell and get an actual 'drama free' phone.

But that's just me.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I've been offered partial refunds before. Generally in response to my initiating a concern directly first with the seller, although it has occurred via initiating an "item not as described" via eBay.

In this case I would mention I was having severe second thoughts on keeping the phone. First because the incredible difficulty in trying to get it activated. But second, and far more permanent, because of the unmentioned dent and screen scratch.

I would still attempt to walk away from this deal, but a not-insignificant 'rebate' would allow me to resell and get an actual 'drama free' phone.

But that's just me.

You guys are all sounding very reasonable, and I really appreciate the input and advice. I'm so brain dead after all that he put me through that I don't know what to think anymore. The phone appears to be functional, though it is not as described. I mentioned in a previous post here that I left him a voicemail. Well, he just left me one. It is very long and as as contrite as they come. Really, it's a model of how to be apologetic. He says that if I still want a refund, he will grant it. I'm very inclined to go that route because the big scratch on the screen is such a disappointment. And the dent too, though it does get covered by a case. There is also a second scratch on the screen that is not as deep as the one that really bugs me but that surely is not what any reasonable person would call a "micro scratch." And yet, now I have this very apologetic voicemail from the guy.

Right, I'm just rambling now. This experience has reduced me to this level!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It sounds like deep down (or even on the surface) you don't really want the phone, be it due to the scratch or dent or something else or a combination of things. So, save yourself the trouble of trying to find reasons to keep it or reasons why you should or shouldn't return it and just return it and be done with it so that it doesn't bother you anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.