Is This An Isolated Smart Cover Issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maclook, Jun 18, 2011.

?

Does your Smart Cover have this issue?

1. Yes, my SC smudges

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No, my SC is perfect

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. maclook macrumors 65816

I just exchanged my Smart Cover because it was smudging the iPad's aluminum and giving itself black marks. I had read online that someone got theirs exchanged easily at the Apple Store but my Genius was reluctant to do the exchange, stating that his did the same thing and that this new one will end up doing it also. The marks on the aluminum don't come off and the marks on the backside of the cover were about 3-4x larger than the one in the picture. I'm positive it's an isolated issue and not a design flaw so I want to check with the macrumors community. My new one doesn't seem to have the same issue yet. I noticed it within a week of purchase, so I'm betting it either clearly has the problem or clearly doesn't.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nbxt macrumors newbie

This is weird. Smart cover is just not that smart. :eek:

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Mine does that, and yes it does wipe off. At least mine wiped off easily. Think its just the grease from the hinge. Haven't had it get on the smart cover cloth though. Perhaps yours was over greased?

4. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Can't say about smart cover itself, mine is black, but it does smudge the iPad.

5. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

You should look into an exchange if yours smudges, if it turns out that it is an isolated issue. It's annoying to have black marks on the cover and on the iPad. I licked my finger and tried to wipe away the smudges on the SC's aluminum and it didn't come off. The smudges on the iPad come off really easy though.

My Smart Cover that smudged felt different than my new one. I noticed this when handling a friend's iPad which is why I decided to exchange it (that and I don't want a $40 accessory that smudges itself). I can't really explain it. I can't say one feels better than the other. My old one felt softer, I guess.