Is this an ISP Problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Jun 27, 2007.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I live in the UK and use BT Internet and every so often I'd notice that I'm not receiving any data. The Airport icon in my menu bar is at full strength, all the lights are on on my modem router. Normally, to resolve this, I have to log into my router and reboot it from the computer, then it works fine.

I'm guessing it's an ISP problem, as the computer is still communicating with the router. Am I correct in saying this and is there anyone here from the UK having the same problems with BT Internet?

Sometimes this happens regularly, sometimes I'd go months without it happening. No point in contacting BT as their customer service is abysmal and they have extremely poor Mac support - luckily it's pretty easy to get the internet set up on a Mac.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have the same problem and it's sourced from a dodgy router. I'll replace it one of these days, but probably not this week. I know how frustrating it is. :(

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

If you're using Home Hub I've read that they're a bit flaky.

4. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

What kind of router do you have?

Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm using a Netgear DG834G.

BT keep trying to entice me with their Home Hub but there's no way I'd even consider it. :p

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Something cheap from Netcomm.

6. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Netgear DG834G. If you're after a new router then I'd recommend a Netgear, very easy to set up and reliable.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...But you're having connection troubles. My old Linksys never had these troubles, but I gave it to Mum 'cause she asked really nicely.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

umm.. why are you recommending the router if you're having problems with it.

I'd say with 99% confidence that the problem is not with your ISP, but with your router. The netgear either has **** firmware, or is just a **** router. Go do yourself a favor and just buy an Airport Extreme. I've had mine for about a month (linksys died and used to have connection problems too) and it has been rock solid. I haven't had a connection drop once.