Is this an issue or am I just crazy(or both :)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Jan 1, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

On my 17" MacBook Pro (2.8 stock) it seems that 3/4 of the way to the right, the backlight is much darker. However this is only noticeable when I am not looking directly at it. It is not an issue I would take to Apple for as it is nearly impossible to demonstrate. Does anyone else have an issue something like this? Do you think it will get worse?

2. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MacBook-Pro-17-Unibody-Non-Glare.16952.0.html

It depends on each particular unit, but many large LED screens have illumination evenness problems. The above anti-glare matte model that Notebook Check reviewed is especially poor.

Unfortunately, most notebooks, esp. larger ones, are mediocre in image quality/color/illumination evenness when closely scrutinized.

This is one of the main reasons why right now large LED HDTVs are so expensive (far more expensive than equivalent 1080p plasmas).

3. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Since the angle of incident rays into your eye with respect to the surface of the display is NOT changing, I think the phenomenon you are experiencing is due to the uneven concentration of rods and cones in your eye. When you're not looking at the part of the LCD directly, the part of your eye receiving the light is not as good as picking up bright objects.

FYI, I'm not a doctor (yet), but I am an optical engineer.

4. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I don't doubt that optical illusion has at least some effect here, but if you look at the review above, the measurements for the middle of the screen are around 237 nits dead center/ 206 nits bottom center and 207 nits middle right/ 176.5 nits bottom right.

Pretty much all of the MBP screens have darker bottom-right corners than the rest of the display. As far as I can gather, there is always a much dimmer patch on every laptop LCD.

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

The area I am talking about is {exactly} along the second vertical line to the right.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Take a camera, and put it right where your eyes are when you experience this, if it shows up in the camera, its a real problem, not just you. Otherwise, its an optical illusion.