Is this an "Official Apple Prank"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tophbob, Oct 23, 2008.

1. tophbob macrumors newbie

Something erie here that you guys (and gals) might be able to shed some light on. Just after I read an article about this being the original iPod's birthday today, my iTunes alerted me to a new update for my 3rd gen iPod Nano that I have named Mango. I have had this iPod for 2 years and never done anything fishy with it (never installed linux, never messed with the firmware, never had ANY problems with it.) When I read the description of the update, I could hardly believe my eyes: "Version 1.5 for clickwheel and touchwheel iPods." Even creepier, it changed the icon of my silver iPod nano to that of the original iPod. I've taken a screenshot here of the whole situation and posted it below.

[snip]

Does anyone else think that the coincidence of this faulty update message and the 7th birthday of the original iPod has significance? Should I go ahead with the update and see what happens?

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

How about actually uploading the pic to MR instead of making people go to MediaFire to download it?

3. tophbob thread starter macrumors newbie

eek, I didnt think I could do that. This was my first post, any tips? Thanks Wild-Bill.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To make the image in OS X, press apple-option-3 (or do apple-option-4, and you'll get crosshairs to just select part of the screen).

You'll see the image as a fileo on your desktop. Create a reply, then scroll down in the browser window to where it says Manage Attachments and click on that. This will pop up a window to upload the image to our server and attach it to your post automatically.

You could certainly also put it on photobucket, flickr, imageshack, etc, and then inline it.

But I did delete the MediaFire reference -- sorry, but given that we have had people try to distribute trojans or other malware this way in the past, I'm putting a kibosh on that.

But if I understand the rest of your post with all the weird reference to "creepiness" omitted, you're basically saying that iTunes installed firmware for the full size iPod on your nano?

P.S. The third generation iPod nano came out in 09/2007... how have you had one for two years?

5. tophbob thread starter macrumors newbie

@mkrishnan - thank you sincerely for the help, I didn't see the attachments button at first swipe. Totally understand with regards to the mediafire link, I'm used to smaller forums and with a community this active its important to keep it safe. In regard to how old my iPod is, I meant 2nd gen. The one I have is the tall format with the aluminum casing. I've had it since Christmas of 2006.
    If you guys would like a photo of the ipod connected to iTunes with the update dialogue (for proof purposes) in the screen, I can probably swing that.

Attached Files:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's very strange...I have a 2nd gen nano also (Silver, 2GB) that I use for running (Nikeplus). Since I just run with it, I don't sync it all that often, and haven't synced it too recently. I'll try it and let you know if I get the same thing.

Does the iPod itself seem to function properly post update?

And to answer your initial question, I'm fairly certain it's not a prank, whyever it's happening. Apple does do Easter eggs... but they're not much like this. (example).

7. tophbob thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i don't honestly think its a prank either but the coincidence seems odd. I just tried to update and everything just switched back to the regular setup: 2nd gen icon, correct serial numbers, and "Version of iPod software is up to date." message.

Very odd.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I did try plugging my Nano 2nd Gen in (software 1.1.3). I had my updates for all iPods set to check manually, but when I checked on the Nano, it did not report new software.

It's an odd glitch.

And so now everything's back to normal?