Is this an okay idea? [Exchanging MBPs]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kauai, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I've been saving up for a new MBP and once I've sold a few things I intend to have a little over a thousand dollars and enough to buy at least a 13". Since I'll be graduating soon my father has agreed to pay for half of my new MBP, so I'm pretty sure I'll be going for a base 15". I'm going out to visit him this year [he lives on the West Coast] so I've decided to just go ahead and buy it out there to make everything easier.

Here is the thing though, I'd like to sell my current computer rather than take it along with me. It's a piece of crap with a battery that only lasts about an hour and a half so it wouldn't be worth taking it on the plane with me. Even so, I'd like a laptop while I'm traveling and when I get there.

Since Apple has eliminated restocking fees, would it be okay for me to buy a base 13" (when they are refreshed), use it for the meantime and then exchange it in Cali for a 15" as long as it's within 14 days? Will they charge for sales tax twice or is that refunded as well (read about that somewhere, but forgot.) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

2. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I don't know if the idea is "okay", but it's do-able for sure.

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I think they might charge tax again on the new price, but you won't have to pay a restocking fee so you're good.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You`d really go to all the hassle of buying then returning an MBP just so you have something to do on the plane?
    Really could not be bothered tbh.
    Plus it`s a bit shady imo.

5. menomano macrumors member

Why do people think it's okay to buy something with no intention of keeping. Companies are not in the business of "renting" out their products. It's no different than all those people who buy big screen TVs for the super bowl and then return them. Where are your morals?

6. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sucks. :( I may reconsider since 115$ is a 1tb external or two cases. Plus NY and Cali have two of the highest sales tax.

Nahh, I don't know when I'll be able to get it there, so it's more than for just the plane. Plus I don't know how long it will take me to sell my laptop, and I'll need a replacement before then, and I can take a hundred or two dollars off my Dads tab.

Really now, no different? The last time I checked Apple is getting nearly 2,000 dollars from me either way. I'm not buying the laptop, using it and then returning it only to return to my old laptop or another manufacturer. I have every intention of buying a laptop, a damn expensive one at that, from them. So that comparison is completely unfair.

7. kitzuki macrumors regular

kitzuki

Yes you are spending money but actions like this add to a report in why companies want to charge stock fees I'm in the same boat as you I need a new atop but so far a good amount of rumors are saying Thursday just wait two days its not worth the bad karma

8. Doneaux macrumors member

9. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

10. menomano macrumors member

No different. You have no intention of keeping the 13". You are buying it because you don't want to be without a laptop for a short period of time. Because it's inconvenient for for you so you want to inconvenience apple instead. They will now have to sell that laptop as a refurb.

This return process is for people who are unsure and may legitimately be unhappy with the product and want to return it.

Or like that other guy who posted that he wanted to buy a new charger because he left the one he already had somewhere else and didn't want to be without it and then wanted to return the new one once he got a hold of his older charger later.

This is unethical and shows a lack of moral character.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

If you do this I honestly can't say I would feel sorry if you tripped and accidentally launched your "borrowed" MacBook down the tar mat at the airport. Company's are way to lenient with there return policy, I don't know about you guys but Ive never returned something unless it was seriously defective. I hate the iphone forums for this, "My bezel is 2μm to far to the left and the 3G icon is slightly to close to the top, Brb returning my iphone for the 9th time". I've got a suggestion for the guys like that in the iphone forum; Prozac very good for OCD. As for this OP some respect for money would be nice..

12. citizenal macrumors regular

I personally wouldn't do it, but sounds doable. People buy 13 inches all the time only to want a base 15 upgrade a week later.

13. AFPoster macrumors 65816

You'll pay more in CALI. You're best bet is to buy what you want before you go. The tax rate is higher in CA since they are in so much debt. I just moved from Santa Barbara to the East Coast and if you can make it happen on the EC make it happen.

14. TomCondon macrumors regular

why can't you just get $h1tfaced on the plane like a normal person?

15. xdbuix macrumors 6502

It is doable, its in the grey area where it can be both unethical and ethical. I know people who were able to do that. They were stuck between 13 and 15 so they got 13 and decided to rather get 15. SO they returned the 13 for the 15, no problems.Stores are more lenient to accommodate you if you were upgrading to a more expensive computer versus refunds.

Honestly though, its probably better if you either a. wait it out, or b. just buy it in cali right from the start. The return policy is too iffy of an area to put $1500+ on.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's what the return policy is there for. OP on the other hand just wants a brand new MBP to play on until daddy drops the extra coin for the big boy MBP.

17. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Like others wrote, shady but doable. Watch out for karma, though, she has a nasty way of spilling a drink on your keyboard, making you drop the laptop, etc in the few days you would have it.

IMHO too much risk just for a 6 hour plane ride.

18. nateo200, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

+1. Besides he has an iPad and iPhone 4....God forbid I had to leave my MBP at home I could survive for a good amount of time on my iPad...Jeez. If that isn't enough go to doctor, say you have a fear of planes, get Xanax, go to sleep, sleep like an angel and wake up in cali, ?????, profit.