Is this app really dangerous to have on my iPhone? (need smart ppl who know proxies)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnacrumors, Jun 13, 2014.

1. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I stumbled across an app in the App Store that says it will block all advertisements from your iPhone while on WiFi.

To do this it basically has you go into your WiFi settings and set up a proxy.

My question is:
    - Is this dangerous to have on my iPhone?
    - How do I know that my data (passwords, emails, imessages) isn't being logged or stolen?

Here is some FAQ answers. But I don't know anything about proxies and still unsure regarding the safety of it which is why I am asking any experts here at macrumors :)
    Thanks for your help guys, sorry I'm not as smart to know this stuff ;)

2. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Turn off Java in Safari and that will get rid of most ads and speed up web browsing a ton. A few menus will be broken on sites but the trade off is well worth it imo

3. Rigby macrumors 601

Why don't you just write that you are talking about "Weblock"? :p

What this app (and several other similar ones) does is install a custom proxy-configuration script locally on your iPhone that redirects requests for web pages that you want blocked to a dummy address. This app uses the address of the public Google DNS servers. Note that the traffic does not actually go through a proxy, so it will not be tracked.

IMO it's a pretty clumsy but harmless method. Your web traffic will not be logged or intercepted.