Is this AppleCare deal legit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Jun 3, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

2. thagomizer macrumors 6502

They are a real store. I have purchased Applecare and other products from them before, and didn't have a problem registering it. The box was rather smashed up, that's probably why they got them cheap.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As long as you get the boxed version of applecare, you should be ok

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

No chance of the eBay scam where the seller returns it and cancel your AppleCare can happen here. Right?

5. Mirabella macrumors regular

If that's legit: Jeepers! That's a heck of a deal. I wish I'd known about it, and saved a hundred dollars on my Applecare.

Thanks for pointing it out. As my friends buy theirs, I'll refer them to this deal, if it proves to be legit.

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'll keep you posted. I will most likely buy this. I just have to make sure that there are no water sensors activated.

7. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I'd like to chime in about this company - I bought an Apple Care Warranty from these guys for a cinema display. Anyways, get this - these guys had the nerve to send a me an opened box with a photocopy of the enrollment code inside (not even the original!) When I called them up and asked them about this, they told that it was their "standard operating procedure". Basically they told me that there were a lot of scams going on with Apple Care and that by keeping the original enrollment code sheet and sending out the photocopy of this sheet protects them from scammers.

I would stay far away from purchasing Apple care from these guys. Their other accessories and stuff may be fine, but I am not one to vouch for their Apple Care.

Also note that these guys are not authorized Apple resellers. So if your warranty goes void, Apple will not be very sympathetic towards your case even if you have the box and a legitimate receipt for the Apple Care.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Did both of your AppleCares work?

9. hypermog macrumors regular

You should always buy AppleCare from an authorized dealer, IMO.

10. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Cheapest I can find is Amazon at $290, anyone cheaper. But has anyone actually had a positive experience with these guys?

11. macagain macrumors regular

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's pretty sketchy. There is absolutely no reason a legitimate (not authorized) retailer should have to open the box of ANY product to protect themselves from ANY scam. That's the sole reason the serial number on the outside of the box is there. There is little if anything the buyer can do that will affect the seller, because if they have the right to sell the product they will be able to communicate with Apple and get the plan canceled in the event of a chargeback or something to that effect.

13. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

How would that keep them as a company from being scammed??
    They are getting their asking price and "if" their applecare is legit then what could possibly be scammed?

14. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Apple sells it to students for $239. That's cheaper than any I've found.

15. Aboo macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I thought. They refused to give me an RMA to return the item as well, so I just paid to ship it back to them (I never attempted to register it) and did a chargeback with my CC company (after showing them proof that the item was sent back to the merchant).

Prior to doing any of this, I called Apple Care Administration and asked them, and was advised that I shouldn't buy Apple Care from anyone except authorized resellers or directly from Apple. Hence I just buckled and paid full price for it.

16. candamo macrumors newbie

I bought an AppleCare from ebay for 130$ a couple of months ago, and sold my MBP about a month ago. Hopefully its not what you guys are talking about.

17. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Sorry, but this is exactly what we are talking about. The seller sends you a code without a box, you register it and all is well, you leave feedback that is positive. A few months later the seller returns the AppleCare gets their money back and screws you in the process. I just bought mine from Apple for peace of mind. And $239 is cheaper than any other legitimate source.

18. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Went to the page in the link and found this at the bottom:
    "Brand New. Retail Box. Item has been open to record the activation number in case of lost package. This item will be shipped. Please see our other listing if you would like free electronic delivery."

Hmmm... now why would they want -- or NEED -- to do THAT?

From another post above:
    "I bought an Apple Care Warranty from these guys for a cinema display. Anyways, get this - these guys had the nerve to send a me an opened box with a photocopy of the enrollment code inside (not even the original!) When I called them up and asked them about this, they told that it was their "standard operating procedure""

Hmmm again! If you don't get the ORIGINAL paperwork with the ORIGINAL enrollment code, my b.s. detector starts screaming, "STAY AWAY!"

That "photocopy" could be ANY enrollment code other than the original. It could be faked, etc.

If you don't get a SEALED box, you don't KNOW that it's bona fide. And even shrinkwrap can be faked.