Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Is this backlight bleeding acceptable? (MacBook Pro)

RohitRaj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
India
Yesterday noticed this weird issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro 15' while updating it. Only visible when I view something black on.
At 50%
IMG_3777.JPG

At 100%

IMG_3776.JPG

is this normal? my laptop is still under warranty

Eason85

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
Given that photos exaggerate the effect greatly, it looks on the moderate side but still ok. As long as the backlighting is even, I think it's okay.

Reactions: RohitRaj

Martius

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I have quite the same amount of backlight bleeding on my 2015 MBP 15". It sucks, but I got use to it. It's not noticable 99,5% of time.

But I still don't think it's acceptable to buy $2000+ machine and have problems like this, Apple QA just sucks. I was just a little worried (which is ridiculous) I would get another problem with the replaced screen (dead pixels, yellow tint, staining), so I told myself I will leave it as it is.

RohitRaj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
India
I have quite the same amount of backlight bleeding on my 2015 MBP 15". It sucks, but I got use to it. It's not noticable 99,5% of time.

But I still don't think it's acceptable to buy $2000+ machine and have problems like this, Apple QA just sucks. I was just a little worried (which is ridiculous) I would get another problem with the replaced screen (dead pixels, yellow tint, staining), so I told myself I will leave it as it is.
Same thing happens to me and Apple genius are so dumb in India that I don't want them to operate my 2000$ laptop. It is not noticeable 99% of time, so should i leave as it is. Does it affect more in future coz i want to use this computer for at least 6 years.

DeanPSN

macrumors regular
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
My 2017 doesn't have any light bleeding at all.
That's strange, i would go and get the lcd replaced under warranty and use the photos as proof if they dont see the issue in store because of their bright lights.

Martius

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
Same thing happens to me and Apple genius are so dumb in India that I don't want them to operate my 2000$ laptop. It is not noticeable 99% of time, so should i leave as it is. Does it affect more in future coz i want to use this computer for at least 6 years.

If it was a question – my answer is no, I don't see it getting worse after 3 years, but it might depend on how you treat your devices. From what I know it's a problem of a badly glued sealing around the backlight, so it might get worse. Mine is ok.

There are no official Apple Stores in my country and dealing with those Apple resellers is pain in the ass most of the time. But if I were you I might give it a shot at Apple Store.

slam5

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011

The issue you have to worry about is staining of your screen. Look up staingate.

RohitRaj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
India
Can you share your MacBook Photo with me? Curious to know
[doublepost=1529570407][/doublepost]
My 2017 doesn't have any light bleeding at all.
That's strange, i would go and get the lcd replaced under warranty and use the photos as proof if they dont see the issue in store because of their bright lights.
Can you share your MacBook Photo with me? Curious to know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.