Is this backlight bleeding?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by georgerussos, Sep 22, 2014.

1. georgerussos macrumors member

Hi all, first of all honestly sorry for my stupid question.
    I got a new 4S yesterday, so anyway I had a little backlight bleeding scare and I noticed on the bottom of the screen a spot that emits more light. This applies both right and left corner and even though I kinda think it's not a backlight bleeding and how the screen is manufactured, I'm way too OCD for my own good :mad: so I kinda uploaded a photo. Again, sorry, I know this is way too far fetched. If you look closely you'll see what I'm talking about, I've circled it. It's on max brightness only I think.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it is, I'd say its so minor and small, its not worth worrying about.

Tbh, I'm not seeing it as light bleed but that just me.

3. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks for the reply. Can you check on your phone with max brightness and tell me if it's noticeable from any angle? Mine is noticeable when you kinda tilt the phone and look at it from the side.
    Swear down if someone tells me they see it on their phones I'm gonna give it a rest. It's driving me nuts

4. jeff657756 macrumors newbie

I received mine on Friday with a slight issue on the right side of the screen. Looks like something is trapped underneath the screen or some dead pixels on mine. Can only notice with all white screen. I have an appointment at apple on Wednesday to see what it is.

5. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

Is anyone else noticing this on their screen, max brightness from a right side angle? It's driving me nuts ugh!

6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

This forum is crazy sometimes. Yes, that is INDEED backlight bleeding. NO, it's not an issue nor should it bother you. Move on with life and be happy that your biggest issue right now is a 4x4 micrometer backlight bleed.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

How do you even see that? Max brightness in a blackened room?

Or, max brightness outside during the day?

8. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

I tried the backlight bleeding test with a black background, tilted the phone and noticed it.
    It's noticeable if you look at the screen for the right or the left. More on a white background.

9. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Do you notice it in day to day viewing? If not, i'd stop worrying about it. I typically use less than 50% brightness 90-95% of the time.

10. usmaak macrumors regular

That is the smallest example of backlight bleed that I've ever seen on any Apple product screen. I've had two iPads, one iPad 2, two iPad 3s and two MBAs, and they all have some level backlight bleed. I also have it on two generations of Nexus 7 tablets and two Surface 2s. I long ago realized that I wasn't the unluckiest electronics purchaser on the planet, and that most LCD devices suffer from it on some level.

In these cases, I just had to decide what I could live with, compared to the risks of returning a device and getting something with worse backlight bleed or other issues.

11. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

It's not noticeable when you look straight at the phone, but just thinking it's there it's driving me crazy. This is why I asked if people can produce this on their phones, if they in fact can, that means that maybe this is how the screen is manufactured and you can't indeed avoid it.

Which is a question nobody's answered; do you guys see this on your phones with max brightness when you look it from the sides?

I know that bleeding is a common thing when it comes to LCDs. The home LCD we have has it. I'm just asking if you can replicate this thing on your phone so I don't feel alone. LOL

12. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Besides, it's a 4s. Not sure he's going to be taking that one back to Apple for an exchange. Might as well be content. :)

13. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

Ι'm not. It's annoying me yeh but I'm not gonna return it for a refurb.
    Just tell me if you can produce it and I'll be on my way. LOL

14. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Why did he get a new 4s? That's what I wanna know.

15. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

Because it was an upgrade, because I had an Android that I hated and because I'm hardly on my iPhone and I'm always on my MBP, so why pay when I can get a phone for free that runs very well and covers my needs perfectly? Besides, I share a very special bond with the 4S, I've had it in the past and it was the only phone I never thought of selling once.

16. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

17. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

You guys are kinda being hard when I specifically told you I know what I'm stating is kinda absurd considering how little it is.

Just goddamn tell me if you can replicate this on your phone when the brightness is full; is it that hard?

18. RyanG macrumors 6502

Try a black background. I can't see jack chit in that picture that looks like blacklight bleed.

19. ok.Eric macrumors member

Mine has the same issue you described. I ended up working with AppleCare and they're sending me a replacement.

20. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

You can't see it clearly on a black background. Only clearly noticeable on white.

21. RyanG macrumors 6502

Backlight bleed would be more noticeable with a black background. Have you tried any other solid color backgrounds? Result?

22. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

here's a photo. The splotch on the middle right and the little one on the middle left are reflections. the rest is screen estate, 100% bright. Don't know if you can tell much. I think I have some upper right.

Attached Files:

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Uhm..nope....didn't see any in OP either. From what I've read, most don't either. You can be ok with it, or do something about it, but either way, I'm not sure what else you're looking for here.

24. RyanG macrumors 6502

Well, I can tell you that it's not backlight bleed.

25. georgerussos thread starter macrumors member

That's what I thought. I think I mistook the black for bleeding, but then again I read that IPS screens actually don't produce very "vivid" dark colors.