Is this backlight bleeding?

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Hi all, first of all honestly sorry for my stupid question.
I got a new 4S yesterday, so anyway I had a little backlight bleeding scare and I noticed on the bottom of the screen a spot that emits more light. This applies both right and left corner and even though I kinda think it's not a backlight bleeding and how the screen is manufactured, I'm way too OCD for my own good :mad: so I kinda uploaded a photo. Again, sorry, I know this is way too far fetched. If you look closely you'll see what I'm talking about, I've circled it. It's on max brightness only I think.

What do you think?

Attachments

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If it is, I'd say its so minor and small, its not worth worrying about.

Tbh, I'm not seeing it as light bleed but that just me.

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
If it is, I'd say its so minor and small, its not worth worrying about.

Tbh, I'm not seeing it as light bleed but that just me.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Can you check on your phone with max brightness and tell me if it's noticeable from any angle? Mine is noticeable when you kinda tilt the phone and look at it from the side.
Swear down if someone tells me they see it on their phones I'm gonna give it a rest. It's driving me nuts

Comment

jeff657756

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I received mine on Friday with a slight issue on the right side of the screen. Looks like something is trapped underneath the screen or some dead pixels on mine. Can only notice with all white screen. I have an appointment at apple on Wednesday to see what it is.

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Is anyone else noticing this on their screen, max brightness from a right side angle? It's driving me nuts ugh!

Comment

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
This forum is crazy sometimes. Yes, that is INDEED backlight bleeding. NO, it's not an issue nor should it bother you. Move on with life and be happy that your biggest issue right now is a 4x4 micrometer backlight bleed.

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
How do you even see that? Max brightness in a blackened room?

Or, max brightness outside during the day?
I tried the backlight bleeding test with a black background, tilted the phone and noticed it.
It's noticeable if you look at the screen for the right or the left. More on a white background.

Comment

drew0020

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2006
I tried the backlight bleeding test with a black background, tilted the phone and noticed it.
It's noticeable if you look at the screen for the right or the left.
Do you notice it in day to day viewing? If not, i'd stop worrying about it. I typically use less than 50% brightness 90-95% of the time.

Comment

usmaak

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2012
That is the smallest example of backlight bleed that I've ever seen on any Apple product screen. I've had two iPads, one iPad 2, two iPad 3s and two MBAs, and they all have some level backlight bleed. I also have it on two generations of Nexus 7 tablets and two Surface 2s. I long ago realized that I wasn't the unluckiest electronics purchaser on the planet, and that most LCD devices suffer from it on some level.

In these cases, I just had to decide what I could live with, compared to the risks of returning a device and getting something with worse backlight bleed or other issues.

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Do you notice it in day to day viewing? If not, i'd stop worrying about it. I typically use less than 50% brightness 90-95% of the time.
It's not noticeable when you look straight at the phone, but just thinking it's there it's driving me crazy. This is why I asked if people can produce this on their phones, if they in fact can, that means that maybe this is how the screen is manufactured and you can't indeed avoid it.

Which is a question nobody's answered; do you guys see this on your phones with max brightness when you look it from the sides?

I know that bleeding is a common thing when it comes to LCDs. The home LCD we have has it. I'm just asking if you can replicate this thing on your phone so I don't feel alone. LOL

Comment

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
This forum is crazy sometimes. Yes, that is INDEED backlight bleeding. NO, it's not an issue nor should it bother you. Move on with life and be happy that your biggest issue right now is a 4x4 micrometer backlight bleed.
Besides, it's a 4s. Not sure he's going to be taking that one back to Apple for an exchange. Might as well be content. :)

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Besides, it's a 4s. Not sure he's going to be taking that one back to Apple for an exchange. Might as well be content. :)
Ι'm not. It's annoying me yeh but I'm not gonna return it for a refurb.
Just tell me if you can produce it and I'll be on my way. LOL

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Why did he get a new 4s? That's what I wanna know.
Because it was an upgrade, because I had an Android that I hated and because I'm hardly on my iPhone and I'm always on my MBP, so why pay when I can get a phone for free that runs very well and covers my needs perfectly? Besides, I share a very special bond with the 4S, I've had it in the past and it was the only phone I never thought of selling once.

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
You guys are kinda being hard when I specifically told you I know what I'm stating is kinda absurd considering how little it is.

Just goddamn tell me if you can replicate this on your phone when the brightness is full; is it that hard?

Comment

RyanG

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Try a black background. I can't see jack chit in that picture that looks like blacklight bleed.

Comment

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
I received mine on Friday with a slight issue on the right side of the screen. Looks like something is trapped underneath the screen or some dead pixels on mine. Can only notice with all white screen. I have an appointment at apple on Wednesday to see what it is.
Mine has the same issue you described. I ended up working with AppleCare and they're sending me a replacement.

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Backlight bleed would be more noticeable with a black background. Have you tried any other solid color backgrounds? Result?
here's a photo. The splotch on the middle right and the little one on the middle left are reflections. the rest is screen estate, 100% bright. Don't know if you can tell much. I think I have some upper right.

Attachments

Comment

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
here's a photo. The splotch on the middle right and the little one on the middle left are reflections. the rest is screen estate, 100% bright. Don't know if you can tell much. I think I have some upper right.
Uhm..nope....didn't see any in OP either. From what I've read, most don't either. You can be ok with it, or do something about it, but either way, I'm not sure what else you're looking for here.

Comment

RyanG

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Well, I can tell you that it's not backlight bleed.

Comment

georgerussos

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Uhm..nope....didn't see any in OP either. From what I've read, most don't either. You can be ok with it, or do something about it, but either way, I'm not sure what else you're looking for here.
That's what I thought. I think I mistook the black for bleeding, but then again I read that IPS screens actually don't produce very "vivid" dark colors.

Comment