Is this bad? (picture)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flipster, Feb 6, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

So iStumblr is a type of network thing that i guess measures your signal (?). Im completely lost, I dont know. Should I get a new router?

Attached Files:

2. wpotere Guest

How close are you to your router? Also, what does your airport card report?

3. simsaladimbamba

Click on the AirPort icon in the Menu Bar while holding down the OPTION/ALT key and see for yourself what Transmit Rate and PPHY Mode you have.

4. wpotere Guest

You also have another router on the same channel that is reporting right below yours. I would either set it to auto or find a new channel.

5. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't know how to read this lol, so any help is appreciated :D. And probably about 23 feet.

Attached Files:

6. simsaladimbamba

It is okay. You have a 802.11g capable network which offers you the maximum transfer rate of 54Mbit/s.
    Do you have any problems or why are you asking?

7. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just wondering because my internet connection has been laggier, slower and drops a lot more. I think it's time for an airport extreme :D. Would that help cuz that iStumblr thing is telling me that my connection is like 38%.

8. wpotere Guest

23 feet is not that far but it also depends on what is in between. Your airport information is fine. Your signal could be a little stronger and may get there if you get off the same channel as the other router.

9. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

How would I go about doing that? Sorry, totally noobish to the network settings :X.

10. wpotere Guest

Depends on the router.... Most of them have a WEB interface that you can go in and change settings. Connect, login and go to the channel setting and move it to auto or pick a channel that is not on the list that you have in iStumbler.

What model router is it? Might be able to find a tutorial.

11. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a netgear wgt624 super G 108 mbps router.

12. dime21 macrumors 6502

did you really censor out your ssid name in the screenshot? lmao! why?

13. wpotere Guest

14. wpotere Guest

He did, but I suspect it is just because he isn't network savvy.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Too late. By tracing the other network SSIDs he didn't censor, I was able to triangulate his position and network and am packet sniffing as we speak. Muhahaha... all his credit card details are belong to us! :p

...but seriously to the OP: if you get the IP address of your router from System Preferences and enter it in a browser window, that should take you to the admin window of your router. You'll probably need a name & password, if you haven't changed these yourself previously, they should be in the documentation with the router. You'll be able to change the channel there.

16. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

LMAO! Idk, leave me alone lol! You would find it pathetic on how much I don't know anything about network settings. Im just gonna get a new router. Wish me luck lol, ill probably break the thing.

17. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will do lol, time to dig through old papers!