Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I have a 12" PB 867mhz, running Seti (with it open or closed) it gets to about 140 degrees F CPU temp (according to Temperature Monitor)...is this bad? Plus if I let Seti run for more than about a minute, my cooling fan is on constantly, is that going to wear it all out? For right now I have just been running Seti while I am here in my apt and then after a coule hours let it sleep and cool, then run again, which sucks because thats why I only have 2WU done in 4 days even though it will do a WU (with me using the computer for other things also) in about 15 hours.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah that's pretty hot. :eek:

I personally don't think it's a great idea to run programs like Folding@home and Seti on laptops. Maybe only run it when you're at the machine - so that you can give it a bit of a rest. Otherwise you might wear out the fan or worse... :(

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
That's what I thought too...so thats what I've been doing. On that same note, all I've been doing this morning is using Safari for about half an hour and the CPU temp is 125F right now.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, that sounds like a much better temp. :)

Of course, you could always get a cooling pad or an iCurve. Have a look around Google for some ways of keeping laptops cool.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
My iBook regularly reaches ~70ºC (= 150ºF) when I push it (playing CM4 or ripping consecutive CDs whilst using Airtunes), but that's still just for limited periods.

I installed SETI when the machine was new, but soon found out that this was not too healthy for the poor thing (as it reached the above mentioned temperatures, and stayed there whit the fan screaming). So I uninstalled it.

Concusion: I'm with mad jew on this, laptops aren't for SETI and Folding... ;)

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Yeah...thats basically where I'm at, and I do have a CoolPad by Targus that its on now. Not sure how hot it would get with out it. btw, does anyone know what GPU stands for on Temperature Monitor? Whatever it is, its normally 5-10 degrees colder (F) than my CPU temp, it also shows HD temp. I think I'm going to get a mini to run Seti on eventually.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
joecool85 said:
Yeah...thats basically where I'm at, and I do have a CoolPad by Targus that its on now. Not sure how hot it would get with out it. btw, does anyone know what GPU stands for on Temperature Monitor? Whatever it is, its normally 5-10 degrees colder (F) than my CPU temp, it also shows HD temp. I think I'm going to get a mini to run Seti on eventually.

GPU == Graphics Processing Unit

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
that makes sense...

not sure if this matters, but its GPU topside and CPU bottomside

anyway, basically what it boils down to is that unless I find a way to cool my book ALOT better and keep it around 125 for the CPU I don't think I will seti for more than a for hours at a time. Like when I go to class I'll let it crank on that, and then when I get home I will close seti for a while. It'll have to do for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.