Is this battery life normal? Apple Rep wants proof.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jare, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

So I've noticed that I have bad battery life, REALLY ****** battery life and I called in to Apple and a Advisor wants picture proof of how bad the battery is.

Keep these things in mind:

1) Nothing is running in fast-app switch bar.
    2) Phone was used to text and accepted only one 2 minute call (the extra 1 minute is from before). No browsing/apps etc.
    3) Email is fetching at 30 minutes, MobileMe. Nothing else is synching.
    4) No location services, no bluetooth etc.
    5) 3G Enabled
    6) WiFi enabled.
    7) Brightness: 30%

Attached Files:

2. celticpride678

3. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

The usage was strictly from texting only. So my battery life isn't as ****** as it seems to be?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this seems normal to me (but everyone's normal is different)

this is my full day of use,

[​IMG]

5. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

But I bet you're using apps and doing more then just texting, no?

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

that day I only played three games, DoodleJump, Trism and Strategery (none are graphic intense games), Browsed the web only on WiFi, I did text a few friends and I did make a few phone calls and I took a lot of photos that day (no videos)

3G enabled
    WiFi enabled
    Fetch, Push and Notifications tuned off
    Brightness around 60%
    No Location Services or Blue toothed used that day

7. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I did none of that, just text back and forth. If I was to exactly copy your usage, my battery would be much worse/lower.

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Seems fine. How long have you had your iPhone 4? The battery life noticeably improves after a few full charge cycles. Try running the battery down until the phone turns itself off, then hook it up to a charger until it's back to 100%, that calibrates the battery. The battery percentage isn't completely accurate, especially when the iPhone 4 is new. 5-7 hours total of mixed usage from 100% battery is normal.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Based on your signature, I'm going to assume you have an iPhone 4.

So, when you first got your phone and you plugged it into iTunes for the first time, iTunes asks you to set up your phone as "New" or "From a Back-Up", which did you select?

if from a back-up, what phone model did you have before?

10. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

A few days, haven't been able to do a charge cycle. I had a prior replacement that had 0 charge cycles and had much better battery life then this, and that's what I'm basing it off of.

Old iP4 -> 100% -> 8h 42m usage, 2 days 11 hours standby. Just texting, with the exact same settings.

I set this new one up as a new phone.

Set it up as new, and my prior phone was an iP4 16GB but I didn't restore from a backup. I always set up as new when I get a replacement.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

yeah, I always do the same thing and set it up as new. I agree with MICHAELSD and 5-7hrs of mix use should be considered normal (wether I record video, watch movies, browse the web in 3G or Wifi or play games, I alway get roughly 5-7hrs out of my phone).

Also, like MICHAELSD said, try and calibrate your phone and brain the battery completely down, then charge back up to 100% and then see how long the battery last you during the day.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I usually get 6-7 hours of usage myself if that means anything. Yours might be a bit lower than normal, but let it go through a few charge cycles before deciding for sure.