Is this battery use normal

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jamesjaan, Dec 4, 2014.

1. jamesjaan macrumors newbie

I have a 2014 11-inch Haswell Macbook Air i5 1.4 / 8 GB / 128 GB.

Had it since October, my 3rd MBA.

Clean install of Yosemite. Virtually no apps installed. No flash.

If I have bluetooth off and my brightness to 2/3 I might scrap 6 hours of battery use. This is not using the the web. I'm typically just using Nisus or another basic text editor (BBEDIT)

Browsing the web, on text based sites, no flash, adblock on, with five or six tabs I get about 4.5 hours.

Watching a film I get 2.5 hours.

If I just leave the computer on with nothing open, and go to sleep disabled, it only lasts 7 hours.

It's not Yosemite. I was getting the same on Mavericks. I know people who get 12 hours or so on an 11-inch Haswell with wifi off, and just writing on a text editor.

Took it into an Apple Shop, nothing showed on their battery test, did a clean install in case of a runaway process (ironically, I now have a runaway process which is giving me 2 hours battery life total, but that's on another thread)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. jamesjaan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I've been through that.

I figured that if Apple's own statement of wireless web browsing is 9 hours, and various review sites have confirmed this in their own tests, then if I'm only getting 7 hours on a clean install, with no apps installed, nothing beyond system processes running, and no usage on the computer i.e., it's just sitting on a desk doing nothing until the battery dies, then my battery life is short.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Download "Battery Health" and see what it reports.