Is this caused by Migration Assistant?!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NutsNGum, Jun 24, 2011.

1. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Got the iMac home today, plugged it into my external, used Migration Assistant to transfer my applications and settings and now I get this work of art for a few seconds every time I boot:

[​IMG]

I've Googled it and I can't seem to find a common denominator. If anyone has any experience of this I'd be keen to know, I'd rather not have to install all my programs from scratch, as I'll be here for days.

It's not affecting performance that I can tell, just a bit of an oddity.

I should add that I've installed the graphics firmware update 2.0.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Nothing to do with Migration Assistant. Looks like a hardware problem.

3. NutsNGum thread starter macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I'm not sure, I had the same thing happen on my 2010 refurb - just prior to buying this model - I had also used it on that.

Can't be sure about before that as I don't remember noticing it when turning it on.

I also noticed another thread where someone pointed out that they'd used Migration Assistant and this had happened, although another poster had also had the problem and hadn't used M.A.

I might try a reinstall and see if it goes away :(

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Is that from booting an external. Strangely coincidental, when I got home today (after my earlier post) I booted from an external with Lion on it and got the identical display. It quickly disappears, though, and everything is normal.

I've got an early 27" 2.8GHz i7.

5. Kasalic macrumors regular

At what point during the boot process does this show up?

The 4 stages are:-
    Firmware - The Chime
    Booter - Grey screen with dark grey Apple Logo
    Kernel - Same as Booter, but with the spinning gear wheel.
    Launchd - Blue screen that comes up right before the mac logs in or shows the login window.

6. NutsNGum thread starter macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It happens almost directly after the grey screen with the apple logo.

As talmy said, it only briefly appears and then goes, and this may be coincidence but I've noticed that I can't now buy anything at the mac app store, it just keeps asking me to enter my password when I have repeatedly done so.

My guess is something hasn't transferred properly or has been corrupted and caused a few bugs. So much for Macs just working!