Is this configuration good?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pectin232, Jan 5, 2012.

1. pectin232 macrumors 6502

2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive: price difference for the 27 inch with a 2TB Serial ATA and 256GB SSD is $600 difference. With just 2TB it is $1849 vs $2449. Anyone got this configuration for the iMac? Do I need the DVD player since I might need it in case of reinstall??

2. dizmonk macrumors regular

The DVD player is built in. Be prepared if you want a 2TB you will wait 3 weeks at least. I'm on 4....:eek:

3. pectin232 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not know the wait was so long. I wonder if the 2tb drive fast or noisy. I wish we can select the type [western digital black caviar, etc] of drive we want instead of them choosing it. Is the SSD pretty fast I am also wondering. I use a 128gb ssd for windows 7 and it is really fast... cosair sata3 or something.

4. dizmonk macrumors regular

My understanding is that SSD's are quite fast. Personally I spent the extra $$ on a processor upgrade (i7) than going with SSD. If you are going to get the large HD you will wait at least 3 weeks. Don't know how soon you need it.

5. tyche macrumors 6502

You're going to pay a lot more for Apple drives than buying afterwards. However, if you ever want an SSD it's best to Apple order upfront because they use a different case to fit it. I also wouldn't be eager to open up an iMac case unless I was very confident and kept things very clean.

So it depends on how much space you really need. I keep all my files/videos/music on external storage which is shared on my network. So my actual computers use very little space for applications. 256 GB SSD in that case would be a huge amount of space. If you grow beyond that you could buy external storage for a much better price.

Another thing is, yes, SSD are fast but depending on what you're doing it may not be that big a difference vs the cost. Does having your boot up 10 secs faster really that important? If you're playing games or music or browsing, there isn't much difference. If you avoid the sata drive completely, you end up with a quieter and cooler iMac. Again, comes down to how important this is to you vs the cost. With all in ones, you're going to have to make these choices up front so imho it's always better to err on more than less.