Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Hi, I'm an iOS developer and I'm trying to a use a custom keyboard to control input in a web view in my app. The only problem is that custom keyboards cannot communicate with web views, of all things. Only Apple's keyboard can. I really want this feature to be added into iOS, and apple.com/feedback won't cut it. I want it in the engineering's team face, and the only way to do that is at bugreport.apple.com, or so I think? Is this really a bug? Thanks.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Hi, I'm an iOS developer and I'm trying to a use a custom keyboard to control input in a web view in my app. The only problem is that custom keyboards cannot communicate with web views, of all things. Only Apple's keyboard can. I really want this feature to be added into iOS, and apple.com/feedback won't cut it. I want it in the engineering's team face, and the only way to do that is at bugreport.apple.com, or so I think? Is this really a bug? Thanks.

Strictly speaking no, it's not a bug. It's simply a limitation in the implementation of custom keyboards.

However, if this were really important to you, I would say go for it; use bugreport.apple.com and report it as such - they may well have had similar reports from others - and the more they get, the more likely they are to make changes.

Cheers,

RTP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.