Is this considered image retention on macbook retina ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Aug 30, 2012.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

hey guys, when I'm on safari on macbook retina and go back or forward to a page that I've visited, the page needs to load, but I IMMEDIATELY scroll down using gestures, and that's when I see a bit of an after image of the page because the page is still loading. Is this image retention ?

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If the image is from the previous page that was viewed then yes.

3. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

the after image is from the new page that is still loading, it's an image of the top of the page when I'm trying to scroll down

4. polotska macrumors 6502

Sounds like it.

Edit: Not sure after all—don't quite follow what you're saying.

5. aj8690 macrumors member

aj8690

The same exact thing happens to me while going back pages on Safari only. It does not happen in Chrome or FF. I think it's a Safari thing.

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

IMO, it doesn't sound like it to me if it an image that will eventually load up from the new page.

7. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Image retention is a greyish burn-in on the screen, not a graphical glitch.

8. kaput macrumors newbie

I believe that Safari now takes a screenshot of the page you were previously on, and when you go back, it shows this screenshot at first while the page is reloaded.

The iPhone does something similar when you close an app - you're shown a screenshot before the actual interface is ready to be used, because they've found that people rarely instantly do something - they take a moment to re-orient themselves.

On Safari, though, I found this behaviour to be incredibly irritating and interrupting to my workflow, so I switched to Chrome with retina compatibility.

Image retention / ghosting is specifically when an after-image of what was on your screen is retained, like a faint reminder of what was there. Check out the photo attached to this post, in which a pure grey background is supposed to be shown - that's image retention.

Attached Files: