Is this considered image retention on macbook retina ?

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
hey guys, when I'm on safari on macbook retina and go back or forward to a page that I've visited, the page needs to load, but I IMMEDIATELY scroll down using gestures, and that's when I see a bit of an after image of the page because the page is still loading. Is this image retention ?

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
the after image is from the new page that is still loading, it's an image of the top of the page when I'm trying to scroll down

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
the after image is from the new page that is still loading, it's an image of the top of the page when I'm trying to scroll down
IMO, it doesn't sound like it to me if it an image that will eventually load up from the new page.

kaput

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
I believe that Safari now takes a screenshot of the page you were previously on, and when you go back, it shows this screenshot at first while the page is reloaded.

The iPhone does something similar when you close an app - you're shown a screenshot before the actual interface is ready to be used, because they've found that people rarely instantly do something - they take a moment to re-orient themselves.

On Safari, though, I found this behaviour to be incredibly irritating and interrupting to my workflow, so I switched to Chrome with retina compatibility.

Image retention / ghosting is specifically when an after-image of what was on your screen is retained, like a faint reminder of what was there. Check out the photo attached to this post, in which a pure grey background is supposed to be shown - that's image retention.

Attachments