Is this considered wear and tear?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edutek, Nov 8, 2007.

1. edutek macrumors newbie

I have a Rev A MBP which is approaching the two year mark. I have AppleCare, and i'm finding many issues as of late. For starters, I have a ring of circles in the middle of my LCD, which from what I understand was an issue before with the PowerBooks. Also, I have aluminum wearing off of my case. Please see the pictures below...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this considered normal wear and tear? It looks awful. Any possibility that either the screen issue or the case issue would be covered by AppleCare? Thanks!

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

this is considered apples shiity quality and reliability

but u have applecare, so use it

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

The screen should definitely be covered by applecare if it is not just surface marks... which seems like it isn't from what you say. Not sure about the top case, but you could ask. If you are worried about them replacing that, when you send it in for the screen fix (probably will just replace the whole screen portion) just include a note in the box asking the techs very nicely (you love apple blah blah blah blah blah good service blah blah) to replace the top portion or do something about it, and chances are even if they weren't told to, they will fix it. I did this for my tibook on the paint issue even after they said they wouldn't fix it and it came back with a brand new top case :)

goodluck!

4. edutek thread starter macrumors newbie

So this is a major problem a lot of people have? I've searched and searched but can't find any examples. The closest i've come is to White MBs yellowing.

5. edutek thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's hard to take a picture of it, but if I have a light background I have about 20 dots in a circle. The circles are about 1/2 inch wide...it actually looks like they would perfectly surround the apple symbol on the top of the case. I can't do anything about it right now, since I need the computer for work, but it may be something I take care of in a few weeks.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It wouldn't hurt to call and ask, even though the case discoloration is merely cosmetic. I'm guessing it's probably due to the oils produced from your hand/wrist in contact with the case.

I went out and bought a Marware protection kit for my SR MBP just for this reason alone. It covers the entire area south of the keyboard and includes a cloth cut the size of the keyboard so that when the screen is closed, it will not come into contact with the keys.

Considering your AppleCare is approaching it's end, I'd try to get those things taken care of.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the pitting you see on your upper case is from the acidic content from your sweat. Some people have it, some dont. Apple may or may not charge you for it, if you can spin it off as a defect.