Is this covered by Apple Care?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mellamohoracio, Feb 16, 2011.

1. mellamohoracio macrumors newbie

sorry if this is not the right forum/topic im new round here...

so last month i accidently had my ipod touch 4g on the floor and it took a chair leg to the back of it. it doesnt look damaged (physically), but when you press the screen with a medium amount of force, the screen (left side) it creates that thing when you forcefully press down on an LCD screen, but it doesnt require as half as much force to create that smudgy thing on the screen. It goes away within seconds, but will apple cover this? If they do will they replace it? if not can i somehow get away with saying that it started doing this some random point?

AND its jailbroken but if i do a clean restore it will they notice that it was jailbroken before?

2. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Can't answer your main question, but if you do a DFU restore on your iPod, they won't be able to tell.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple Warranty and AppleCare do not cover accidents or physical abuse.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Yep, like the above poster said, if you caused the damage it is not covered although it is possible you may get a nice Genius and he may replace the screen for you or something, it is always worth a try.

They will most likely not do anything if you give it to them jailbroken though.

5. Aldrich macrumors newbie

OMG, That poor thing. Apple does not cover accidental damages.

6. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't cover accidental damadges, only company defects.

I would just buy a new iPod as a new screen would cost around 200 bucks since the LCD is laminated to the glass.

There could be internal damadge, but you might be able to pull off something like, "When I bought it this happened, I haven't been able to get around to bringing it over but..."

7. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No but if our nice they might be nice and give you a replacement

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I doubt AppleCare would cover it ... they would probably be able to tell it was damaged and not something faulty on Apple's part.

If it still works just live with it

9. nukem170 macrumors member

They will be able to tell that you had caused physical damage to the device. So they won't cover it. But a friend of mine broke his phone (water damage) and it was still under warranty. Even though apple doesn't cover that type of damage they were nice enough to give her a new phone for a discount.