is this covered in warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coffeebeans10, Apr 24, 2017.

1. coffeebeans10 macrumors newbie

Hello. I bought a MBP 2016 in February and accidentally dropped my iPhone on the screen. Now the thin plastic-like strip below the screen (where MBP is printed) has a crack and I can't figure out if it is covered in warranty or what sort of damages am I looking at? (PFA an image)

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

No it's not covered under warranty. Cost to replace through Apple will need a new display shell as it's all built-in. As you've got a new 2016 model, it'll be mighty expensive. Easily $400, likely a lot more.

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

You damaged it, why would that be under warranty?

You can take it to Apple and see if they will repair if for you for free, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The warranty covers you against defective components, not accidental damage. Sorry, buy you're on the hook to fix this.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No your warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, take a look at your home insurance you are looking at an expensive fix.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Most homeowners policies have deductibles that start around $1,000. Even if less than that, it's not worth the "ding" of filing a claim for such a small expense.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This is true and is a call everyone has to make, applecare is not insurance (and never has been for computers) and providing your own insurance is your responsibility, you can name items on your home insurance and insure them individually for a few extra pounds a month, or even take separate device insurance if you are particularly likely to break your laptop.