is this covered in warranty?

coffeebeans10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Hello. I bought a MBP 2016 in February and accidentally dropped my iPhone on the screen. Now the thin plastic-like strip below the screen (where MBP is printed) has a crack and I can't figure out if it is covered in warranty or what sort of damages am I looking at? (PFA an image)

Thank you!

Attachments

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
No it's not covered under warranty. Cost to replace through Apple will need a new display shell as it's all built-in. As you've got a new 2016 model, it'll be mighty expensive. Easily $400, likely a lot more.

Reactions: hallux

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello. I bought a MBP 2016 in February and accidentally dropped my iPhone on the screen. Now the thin plastic-like strip below the screen (where MBP is printed) has a crack and I can't figure out if it is covered in warranty or what sort of damages am I looking at? (PFA an image)

Thank you!
No your warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, take a look at your home insurance you are looking at an expensive fix.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
No your warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, take a look at your home insurance you are looking at an expensive fix.
Most homeowners policies have deductibles that start around $1,000. Even if less than that, it's not worth the "ding" of filing a claim for such a small expense.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Most homeowners policies have deductibles that start around $1,000. Even if less than that, it's not worth the "ding" of filing a claim for such a small expense.
This is true and is a call everyone has to make, applecare is not insurance (and never has been for computers) and providing your own insurance is your responsibility, you can name items on your home insurance and insure them individually for a few extra pounds a month, or even take separate device insurance if you are particularly likely to break your laptop.