Is this covered under AppleCare??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kato10, Jul 5, 2011.

1. kato10 macrumors newbie

Please tell me if this is covered under AppleCare. If not does anypne know any tricks I can use to get the Apple Store to swap my MacBook Pro.

Ok, so I JUST got this thing less than a week ago and my 2 year old accidentally dropped something on my MacBook Pro putting a subtle, yet noticeable (to me), dent on it. I want to get it swapped for a new one because i know it's there and it bugs that crap out of me! I bought a hardshell case for it but since it's a 17 inch MacBook, no one carries the case that I wanted at their stores...so i had to order it on Amazon and I'm still waiting for it.

If this isn't covered under AppleCare, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get it swapped? I've heard stories of people going into the AppleStore and getting damaged products (not covered under AppleCare) swapped.

Please advise!!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. kato10 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Got a dent myself. Dog did it. In time you'll get used to it and most likely have more dents over time.

Keep it away from baby, pets, scuds.

Of course you could take it to an Apple store and ask. YMMV.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sorry for your Mac ... if it still works ... don't worry about it ... one of the prices of small children around expensive things ... stuff gets broken

6. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I have to small dents on the top, where the Apple logo is. I have no idea how it managed to get 2 dents, they're not big dents, nor does it bother me. No one has noticed it yet, but I can see it. As long as the MBP is working fine, you shouldn't find any issue with it. :)

7. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Lots of threads like this the last few days...

8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

The OP has my sympathy but why should Apple pay for your mistake? I am not trying to be harsh. I am amazed at what people think they should get for free. Again, I sympathize with your situation and two MBPs ago I dropped mine and put a major dent in it and broke the OD.

Yet, it was my fault and I bought a new one.

I guess I wonder if you bought a new car, you dented it a week later, would you return to the dealership for a new one?

This would never occur to me...

-P

9. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

If the dent is on the bottom cover you can get a perfect 1 on ebay for relatively cheap.

10. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I doubt they would replace anything on your computer as bumps and dents are not covered by applecare.

You can try but I would doubt they would do anything.

11. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I would throw it down the stairs and maybe bend it a bit in the middle. Take it to the Apple Store and tell them Uri Geller did it.

12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Why would you think it's covered? AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage. Thank you for not only making products more expensive, but also making it harder for people to get legitimate issues fixed as Apple has to make sure something like this doesn't happen.

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I heard stories thefts getting away too. So are you going to steal?

I feel sorry for you but you need to take responsibility for your act.

14. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

You can probably have them replace the part that is damaged, but I'd imagine they'll charge you for it. Who knows, they may even be able to fix it, dents in metal can be repaired. I don't know if Apple does that or not, but again, I'd imagine there would be some cost.

Now, I'm done being nice. You do understand I hope, that when a company replaces your product the replacement isn't free right? Even if they don't charge you, there's still a cost. Who do you think pays that cost? It's not the company. It's that company's customers. These costs get passed along to all of us in the form of product pricing.

So I'm sorry your MBP got damaged, that really sucks. But it also sucks that you would expect everyone else to foot the bill for something that is your error.

15. jogales macrumors member

If you get the right genius, he/she might do a swap for you. In my experience, Apple will often give you mercy once. If it's just a small dent though, I'd hold off. Why risk the possibility that they'll be less likely to cover something borderline further down the line when you have a perfectly fine machine right now?

16. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

If it's just a small dent, won't the hard case cover it when it comes? If it's a small dent and the performance isn't affected, just put the case on top! Personally, I would never expect Apple to replace damage like that for me. I mean, Apple Care does not cover accidental damage. If you were buying an expensive piece of technology and have small children, you probably should have thought of this. I wouldn't bother trying to replace it in case you end up with worse damage in the future, as someone said above.

17. sebgreen, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011

sebgreen macrumors regular

Are you being serious? Some people amaze me

I like the example of the car...... if your dented a 1 week old car would you take it back and expect a replacement? I personally wouldn't. Maybe you would but you are probably a t*at.

As you say "subtle, yet noticeable (to me), dent on it". Get over it.

The lesson is, don't leave expensive items around a baby. I thought that would be simple common sense?

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'd love to see the look on the genius' face when you tell them what you want. I'm sorry but there is nothing that Apple can do if your computer is damaged by your child.

19. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

If you purchased with a credit card (like Amex) it might include accidental protection for the first 90 days. I think it covers theft also.

20. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I dropped my Magsafe adapter on mine and now i have a small dent. I bought the Speck Laptop case in black and it covers it very nicely.

21. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Wow, you guys are way less concerned about your stuff than I am. I guess I must be pretty anal about my 17" MacBook. I'de have a heart attack if I put a dent in it. :eek:

22. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I probably would have a heartattack if I had a dent on my MacBook Pro, but I would have to deal with it.

I also would have to agree with the car dealership, if you made a dent in your car, I doubt they'll let you return it.

Option: You can always try taking your MacBook Pro to like a repair, maybe they can hide or fix the dent for you for a price.

23. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

24. 0penCr8 macrumors newbie

I just like how you measure time by how many notebooks you've gone through.

25. minnus macrumors 6502

It still falls under the return period. Return it.