Is this DELL monitor any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shuffles, Dec 28, 2009.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

I'm looking to buy a monitor for my Macbook Pro 13". It's 2.53ghz, 4 gig of ram.

I used a friend's iMac and I couldn't get over the difference the space a 24" screen gives. I'm opening an eBay store in January so a big screen would be a really good help to me. I'm going to be leaving it at work, so I can take my Macbook home every night. Is this monitor good? Also, what cable to I need to hook the Macbook up to it? Can I have it hooked up as a dual screen with the Macbook as well?

Here's the link for the monitor:

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=324819

thanks in advance.

2. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

For some reason that link won't work. It's called the:

DELL ST2410 24” Full HD Widescreen Monitor

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I <3 my Acer H233H. it has Dvi, Vga and hdmi inputs. Xbox 360 and
    my Mini are hooked to it. Only 160-180 bucks on the internet.

4. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Your link doesn't seem to be working for me. However I will say in general I've been quite happy with all Dell monitors I've personally owned. In addition to what I've owned, I've supported at least 100 Dell monitors over the years for business use and have always had good luck with them. In fact I'm on two Dell monitors right now as I type this.

5. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Excellent, and what cable should I get to connect it up and where?

Cheers.

6. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I've had good experiences with Dell's as well. Try looking around their online site, because sometimes they have REALLY good deals. I got my 23" Dell P2310H Pro monitor for $170 CAD which is $140 off! I can't believe the good deal! I love this monitor!

For the adapter, I also use a 13" MBP and I just use a cheap mini-displayport > DVI adapter from monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=mini+displayport+to+dvi&x=0&y=0

I think you would need the MALE > MALE adapter but Im not 100% sure!

7. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

It's selling for 183.20 euro. I'm tempted to just go ahead and buy it now

8. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah if you can find a good deal on a monitor from Dell's site, you should get it soon because they don't last long!

9. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Hi again,

I'm literally about to buy a monitor, most likely this DELL one. Before I do I just need to know 1 or 2 things:

What cable should I buy to connect my Pro to the monitor?

Will the Apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse connect up to the monitor? Do they connect to the Macbook itself or the monitor?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I just don't want to buy it and then find out it's not fully compatible with everything.

10. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Here's some specs for it:

The new DellTM ST2410 24” Full HD Widescreen Monitor delivers clean and crisp picture quality to enhance your movie watching, game playing and web surfing. Immerse yourself in the action with Full HD quality and a 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.
    Enjoy action-packed entertainment with a typical 5ms response time.
    Consume less with a new energy-efficient model.
    Complete your desktop with a sleek-looking bezel and stylish display.

Panel Size:
    24"
    Aspect Ratio
    Widescreen (16:9)
    Panel Type:
    TN – Twisted Nematic
    Optimal Resolution:
    1920 x 1080 at 60Hz
    Contrast Ratio:
    Dynamic Contrast Ratio 50000:1 (max)
    Brightness:
    250 cd/m2 (typical)
    Response Time:
    5ms
    Viewing Angle
    (160 vertical / 160 horizontal)
    Colour Support:
    16.7 million colours
    Pixel Pitch:
    0.277 mm
    Display Type
    Anti-glare
    Device Type
    Full HD Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

CONNECTIVITY
    High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
    Digital Visual Interface - Digital (DVI-D) with High Definition Content Protection (HDCP)
    Video Graphics Array (VGA)

STAND
    Tilt adjustable (4° forward and 21° back)

BUILT-IN DEVICES
    Kensington security ports
    Audio In/Out

COLOUR, SIZE AND WEIGHT
    Dimensions (H x W x D):
    416.79mm x 584.86mm x 217.00mm(16.29” x 23.03” x 8.54”)
    Weight (with Stand and cables)
    5.54 kg (12.22 Ib)
    Weight (with packaging)
    6.78 kg (14.95 lb)

SECURITY
    Security port (cable lock sold separately)

ELECTRICAL
    Voltage Required:
    100 to 240 VAC / 50 or 60 Hz + 3 Hz / 2.0A (maximum)
    Power Consumption:
    22.5W(typical) / 30W (Maximum)

Attached Files:

11. boast macrumors 65816

boast

it should already bring a DVI cable. Just have the mini display to DVI adapter for the macbook.

macbook. has nothing to do with the monitor.

12. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

The mouse and keyboard both use bluetooth, so they will connect to the computer itself (has nothing to do with the monitor). I think for the adapter you would need a Mini Displayport > DVI adapter.

13. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

How about the SP2309W? I've got a few of them around me (one at home and a few at work). They're excellent, and higher resolution than the 24" you linked. Runs on single-Link DVI too, so simple to connect to the Mac.

14. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

That monitor is a good deal. But I would also look at the u2410 or the 2209wa. Or look at samsung f2080 or f2380. There a little more expensive but they have 178 degree view angles and don't shift rapidly when you change your view angle.

[​IMG]

15. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Yeah, the u2410 is savage but it's over 600 euro whereas the one I was looking at is only 183 euro. I'm not a graphic designer or anything like that and I know the u2410 is probably a million times better than than the st monitor but I don't know if I could justify 600 euro if I'll probably never notice the difference for what I'll be using it for ie my ebay store.

With regard the smaller monitors mentioned, personally I'd prefer the bigger size. The more space I have the better.

16. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

I was going through the same dilemma looking for an extra monitor for my MBP(Same specs as yours) because the 13" isn't enough especially when you're at home.

I myself purchased an LG 2343T 23". If you're looking to spend around under 200$(CAD/USD).

LG Flatrons and Samsung Syncmasters seem to go well with the MBP. I love my monitor pair right now. Go with at least 22".

Yes you have to get the DVI - Mini DV from apple but well worth it. I originally had VGA running because the LG2343T has both outputs but DVI tends to be a little more clearer. But remember you'll probably never get a picture as clear as your MBP unless paired with a high-end Monitor like Apple has available but Syncmasters tend to get the closest.

Good luck!

17. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I would say the color accuracy isn't as important to you for what you're doing with it, but I will say if you're planning on using it for work, I would get a 16:10 as opposed to 16:9 screen. Worry less about the size of the screen and focus on the resolution since that will determine how much information can be displayed at once. The Dell monitor you mentioned isn't too bad, but its 1920 x 1080. There are other 24" monitors that can display 1920 x 1200 resolution and you will be able to see more information on it.

18. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Are there any monitors that have the 1920 x 1200 ration and are around 200 euro?

19. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

20. Akula971 macrumors regular

Akula971

Dell U2410

I've just bought one of these. It is my first monitor with an IPS panel. My existing 24" Dell is a TN panel. WOW! What a difference in colour and brightness. I play Fallout 3 in Vista64 via bootcamp. It was like having a different game. I use the two monitors for CAD work, and I can see me ditching the DELL 2405W in the future and getting another U2410. If you can afford the U2410, get it you will not be disappointed. IPS all the way!

21. pro-it macrumors newbie

Dell U2410 has a lot of problems, just google "U2410 tint" or "U2410 dithering" or "U2410 icc". IF you can live with the dithering problem and bad ICC profile AND you're lucky and get a monitor without tint, it is a great product (after calibration).

22. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

The dithering issue has been fixed with A01, but indeed it seems there are still MAJOR issues with bad tints. Most people seem to say to stay away from those ...