Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Can you fit pretty much any graphics card into a mac pro? (Im new to mac so sorry if thats basic)

Also say the card only worked with windows, if I plugged in a card and booted to windows would the card run that way?

Reason I ask is that some of the work I do requires running high end games but I hate vista and have always wanted a mac. Im fine with dual booting if I have to but I was hoping that high end graphics cards would work on the mac pro so I dont have to buy two machines. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
Can you fit pretty much any graphics card into a mac pro? (Im new to mac so sorry if thats basic)

Also say the card only worked with windows, if I plugged in a card and booted to windows would the card run that way?

Reason I ask is that some of the work I do requires running high end games but I hate vista and have always wanted a mac. Im fine with dual booting if I have to but I was hoping that high end graphics cards would work on the mac pro so I dont have to buy two machines. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By no means am i an expert on this, but doesn't apple offer a pretty decent graphics card?

I do think you are limited though to ones that are supported.

It think it would be possible to have a graphics card that only worked with windows and only use it in windows right? Say for example you had 2 cards, one supported by OSX and one not, OSX would ignore the incompatible card and carry on right?

Oh, and what kind of job do you have where you have to run high end games? Sounds like fun lol :p

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
On the apple site the best (or just most expensive :p) video card is the Nvidia quadro FX 5600 1.5 GB if that means anything to you, because it doesn't mean a lot to me, but i take it that at close to 3K's it better be pretty good:rolleyes:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
From the benchmarks that I've seen, the Quattro FX 5600 only offers very modest performance gains over the 8800GT.

Yes, you can run regular Windows video cards in the Mac Pro when you boot in to Windows. They will not work when you boot in to Mac OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.