Is this doing damage to my comp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DAAAAAAAVE, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

So i am running an app called fan control to keep my MBP cool. Basically if you haven't seen it it lets you set a minimum fan speed and depending on temperature it will raise or lower fan speed. When i want to use my comp on my lap i crank the fan speed up so i don't like burn my lap. Now my fan speed never really goes over 4000 rpm. Is this a safe level for fans to be at or will i end up with conked out fans?

EDIT: This is the app i am using http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137

2. bananabar macrumors regular

I've never understood why people want to override all the work that the highly experienced Mac designers and programmers have done.

I don't know, but I suspect it won't do it any good.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its fine just dont always set it at maximum rpm as it will prob shorten the life of your fans. 3000rpm should be enough and set it back to the minium when you dont care about heat.

uninstall and reboot to remove it and set your fans back to the default speed if youre going to see a genius as they prob wont like it and blame any issues you have on it.

4. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

I did it because i was actually putting burn marks in my desk and nearly burning my wrists everytime i tried to use my laptop. I didn't think that that type of heat would be good for the internals. I was just curious if it was like HEAPS bad for the fans. I would rather fans conk out than fry something

5. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

Thanks man
    I have it set on minimum (1000 rpm) for a huge majority of the time. It is only when i am using it on my lap (like 5% of the time) that i crank it up to max

6. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I used to use on my old MacBook fan control but stopped because I didn't really need it. If you want to uninstall it this is how you do it (from the fan control website). 1st pic tells you how to remove the files, 2nd pic tells you how to reset the SMC.

Attached Files:

7. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

Thanks but i think i will keep it. Im not sure if my laptop was faulty or if they all got as hot as mine but no way do i want to go back to that

8. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

All classic MBPs can and do get very hot.

9. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

I was surprised when i got this MBP (first mac) that it didn't have an option to speed up the fans. I was like "cool they are silent but that seems to be because they are doing NOTHING"

10. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

It depends, at least you are not doing this,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=600967

11. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

haha why does everyone rip on that poor girl
    as long as she likes it
    thats all that counts
    haha not what i would do with a new mbp though
    lets just say it would involve a bedroom, a bed, some tissues and i wouldn't see my friends for a week
    of course im totally talking about watching a sad movie marathon.............