Is this Drive Compatible with my Early 2009 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habitat, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Habitat, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

Habitat macrumors newbie

This might seem like a really amateur question but I'll ask it anyways.

I have an early 2009 15" Macbook Pro (or is it late 2008) - the one without the SD Card Slot w/ Snow Leopard...and it's starting to run slow.

I want to put this SSD Drive in there - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NHAF3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TC87EJKQMY9O

- is this hard drive going to be compatible with my laptop?

and then I want to upgrade it to Mountain Lion (fresh new setup). What is the best way to do that considering I don't have the Snow Leopard disks anymore?

I'll be trying to install to a blank hard drive..

Thanks for the help guys

2. GammaRayToaster macrumors newbie

Quick googling confirmed your MacBook doesn't have sata 3, so the drive seems a bit overkill. The maximum bandwidth of your MacBook is considerably lower than the of your desired SSD. You could save a few bucks with an "older" model and still reach comparable acceleration. You might want to look for a sata 2 drive. Anyway the drive should work fine. At least the 840 does well in a 15 inch MBP from 2011.

As for installing: I prefer the USB Stick method. In case you bought Mountain Lion in the AppStore you can download it and copy it over to a flash drive.