Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I still have an old Series 0 Apple Watch laying around the house which I was going to hand down to my 14 year old son. So I pulled it out of a drawer to set it up when I noticed that the screen popped loose on one side. I figured it was ready for the trash heap since it’s really not worth $249 which is what Apple charges to repair.

However, I vaguely remembered something about Apple extending to 3 years the warranty repairs on bulging batteries. When I searched this forum to find out more info, I was inundated with threads about unhappy watch owners reporting that Apple denied their screen replacement saying that it was normal wear.

Which leads me to my question. Without sending my watch back to Apple is there any way to tell if my screen popped loose due to a swelling battery? The watch still seems to work good and even has great battery life.

Was there also an adhesive issue with these watches that wasn’t covered?

Attachments

• FE6BE282-9F8F-48DD-8646-CF9E44993068.jpeg
    FE6BE282-9F8F-48DD-8646-CF9E44993068.jpeg
    885.2 KB · Views: 422
  • 1824A8FB-8AD9-4442-87FC-A102479DCE8D.jpeg
    1824A8FB-8AD9-4442-87FC-A102479DCE8D.jpeg
    771.5 KB · Views: 306

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I know the back fell off of my SS series0 a few months ago but I was working outside at night around mosquitoes and had been covering my arms in different repellants. I think some kind of citrus oil all-natural repellent ate through the adhesive on the watch. It also melted the $150 Apple leather band to my skin.

I just superglued the back back onto the watch.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Yep. My series 0 did the same. Apple gladly replaced with a series 1. No questions asked. Just happened a few months ago.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Can’t you look into the crack and see if something has pushed it out?

Well, I called Apple and they are sending me a box to ship them the watch. They will do a diagnosis to see what the problem is. I was afraid if I pulled the screen off any further, that they’d say it was user-caused damage.

What has me worried is that the customer service rep on the phone had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned that Apple had extended the warranty for bulging batteries. He kept repeating that my watch was out of the 1-year warranty and the Apple Watch technicians would give me a quote for repair. I’m hoping that at least the techs will be aware that if it’s due to swelling battery that they’ll offer a free repair or replacement.
[doublepost=1538951454][/doublepost]
If the battery is rounded like a “pillow” chances are the battery swelled and popped your screen out.

Thanks, I may just pry the screen back and shine a flashlight in there.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If the battery looks like it’s swollen or puffy with the battery pouch at all, then that indeed is a defective battery. You would still be covered under the three year warranty with a replacement watch. (Likely a Series 1 or 2).

Xarthan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
If they do replace it, it would be a series 2 if they don't have any series 0 left (series 1 didn't have a stainless steel models and I don't think apple would replace SS with Aluminum)

Reactions: perezr10

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, I called Apple and they are sending me a box to ship them the watch. They will do a diagnosis to see what the problem is. I was afraid if I pulled the screen off any further, that they’d say it was user-caused damage.

What has me worried is that the customer service rep on the phone had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned that Apple had extended the warranty for bulging batteries. He kept repeating that my watch was out of the 1-year warranty and the Apple Watch technicians would give me a quote for repair. I’m hoping that at least the techs will be aware that if it’s due to swelling battery that they’ll offer a free repair or replacement.
[doublepost=1538951454][/doublepost]

Thanks, I may just pry the screen back and shine a flashlight in there.

If you can you need to take a picture of the battery.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Yep. My series 0 did the same. Apple gladly replaced with a series 1. No questions asked. Just happened a few months ago.
Gee, they shipped mine off and I got a 0 back... that was updated to iOS 11 and I was at 10 at the time due to 2 apps. I handed it to my daughter while I tried to find app replacements. Then my phone got replaced due to a screwup during a battery replacement, and it was on iOS 11 and so I was just screwed... and took the watch back! Lol

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am shocked they would ship a watch with a potential battery issue like this...

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I am shocked they would ship a watch with a potential battery issue like this...
Lithium batteries can be tricky to get right. They need to be manufactured just right, and they need to be managed just right. Remember the Samsung Galaxy Note 7? Or the big Sony battery recall 10 or so years ago after laptops caught fire? The important thing is how it’s handled when it happens.

This is why I never charge unattanded (that includes at night while asleep).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.