Is this eligible for discount date a mistake??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kracker, Jun 14, 2009.

1. kracker macrumors member

On both apple and att websites it says the date i can get full discount is 7/29/2009. Exactly a year after getting the 3G. It even says my other line is eligible a year after the date it was bought. Its not an iphone either. Whats going on here??

2. jwtseng macrumors member

Your eligible date depends on how "valued" a customer you are... and the way AT&T (and probably every cell carrier) determines this is looking at how much you pay them every month.

If my memory serves me, I believe that if you pay $69.99 to $99.99 a month for your cell services, then you will be eligible for a fully subsidized phone after Month 18 of your 24-month contract. If you spend more than $100 on your cellphone bill, then your eligibility is 12-months. If you spend under $69.99/month, then your eligibility would be 21-months.

Let us know whether this jives with your personal situation. Most people who bought the iPhone 3G (and thus are on a $69.99/month plan) would be eligible for the $199/$299 subsidized pricing after 18 months, which would be in Dec'09 or Jan'10. I am getting a Premier discount on my plan (under $69.99) so my eligibility date is March'10.

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I wish they had a $200 tier upgrade plan. Would be beneficial to me.

4. ichabodkky macrumors member

I must be a valued customer then. We have 4 lines on our phone and pay our bill in full every month ($200+, iphone + data, bb pearl + data, two standard phones, family unlimited messages.). My upgrade eligibility date for the 3GS is July 12, 2009. I bought my 3G on launch day. I won't be getting a 3GS on launch day.

5. Unibody8764 macrumors newbie

i pay $350 a month for a 3g bought on launch day, a 3g bought on christmas, and an old nokia flip phone that the contract ends september..

i recently called ATT to check my upgrade eligibility because i was having an error on the apple site, and asked if i was able to upgrade both the 3g lines and switch an old 3g over to the nokia line. after the woman talked to her supervisor, she told me that i was able to upgrade the 3g line bought on launch day, and that i could also upgrade the other 3g line at subsidy price as long as i sign a new contract for the nokia line and do not recieve a new subsidized phone for that line.

truly, talking to att works. people may complain, but they can help you out more than you think.

6. jwtseng macrumors member

So it all makes sense then. For those who bought an iPhone 3G on or around the launch date (July 2008), upgrade eligibility for fully subsidized pricing is as follows:

March 2010 - (21 months) if you pay less than $69.99 monthly
    December 2009 - (18 months) if you pay between $70-$99.99 monthly
    July 2009 - (12 months) if you pay over $100 monthly

I'm sure I've seen it spelled out this way somewhere on AT&T's site, but they sure don't make it easy to find.

I'm not sure what the "early upgrade" eligibility dates are for the $399/$499 pricing.