Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I'm on my second iPhone 3G (first one the touchscreen stopped responding) and my new one has two stuck pixels (they are red on the black background) and the 3G connection in NYC is almost always under 250 kbps when I do a speedtest. Are these issues enough to warrant another exchange?

Nukey

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
It's probably not the iPhone's fault that the connection is slow, but I would go in and get it exchanged because of the stuck pixels. Two red dots would really annoy me on a screen that small.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
It's probably not the iPhone's fault that the connection is slow, but I would go in and get it exchanged because of the stuck pixels. Two red dots would really annoy me on a screen that small.

Normally I would agree but my gf has a white iPhone 3G and we did the same speedtest in the same spot and hers was almost double the speed of mine. That's the only reason I think there may be an issue with my iPhone's radio.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
...we did the same speedtest in the same spot and hers was almost double the speed of mine.

Interesting. How scientific about it were you?

Did you both turn off location services, turn off push, disable your mail accounts, stop syncing addresses/calendars if you have MobileMe, etc., then reboot the phone and start Safari before anything else? Any of those settings enabled on one or both phones would throw the test off, especially if you did the test while data was being transferred by mail, address book, or calendar. Even an incoming SMS would slow things down.

Also, if the test was run without clearing Safari's cache, it could skew results.

There are other factors you might not consider too, like how you held the phone, direction you're facing, body type of the person holding the phone, etc.

Finally, the test should be performed multiple times, preferably in varying locations.

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
A week ago I took my iphone back to the Apple store to exchange it. I figured they would hassle me because there was nothing actually wrong with the device (as far as functionality goes). I wanted to exchange it because 1.) the screen would flicker slightly when turning it on and off and it bothered me, and occasionally launching a game..... and 2.) The incase silicon protective cover I got for it had scratched it all to hell.

So, they ended up exchanging it anyway after I kinda bickered back and forth for a while with them.

Well, the iphone they gave me was brand new, but ended up having like 5 or 6 stuck pixels from what I could tell. Only 1 of them was really noticeable, and the others you couldn't really see that well even if you were looking for them on an all black background.

I took this one in, and they swapped it out today with zero issues. They didnt even ask me any questions other than what is wrong with it. I told them it had a stuck pixel, and had other pixels that occasionally stick on the right side. The guy said, "ok, no problem"... took a look at it, reset it, and started the paperwork to swap it out. I'm very satisfied with how I was treated today.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I would definitely swap it out (for the stuck pixels). Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Bryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.