Is this even an option?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cryptography, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. Cryptography macrumors newbie

    Apr 21, 2006
    I have had my 15-inch C2D MBP for 4 days now. Although I am happy with it, I was having a hard time deciding between the 15 or 17 before I bought. After using the 15, I think I should have gone with the 17. Any chance I can "trade up" and avoid the restocking fee or am I out of luck? I bought it at an Apple Store so, I assume I will have to handle this there as well or can I deal with Apple direct? Thanks.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    You can beg and plead with them by pointing out that you would like to spend more money there, but you may end up being stuck with the restocking fee.

    Doesn't hurt to ask...
  3. Cryptography thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 21, 2006
    Yeah, I had a feeling. Just wanted to get a sense if anyone had been successful in doing this. I am not sure my desire for the 17 is worth 10%.
  4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030


    Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I've heard of people talking their way out of the restocking fee if they were planning to upgrade on the spot, so I wouldn't immediately assume you're out of luck (what I've heard of is people trading a MB for a MBP). It'll probably depend on the manager, really.

    If you have a few apple stores close by, you'll probably be able to talk at least one of 'em into letting you make the trade without the restocking fee. The restocking fee, if it's anything like any other retailer, is really at the manager's discretion.. I've talked my way out of many, even without wanting to pay more to upgrade to something else. I imagine Apple is the same way.

Share This Page