Is this even possible?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheShinyMac, Aug 31, 2009.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Heres a link to the video, the part I am interested is when she just plugs the ethernet cord into the wall. Could I call up comcast and have em install something like that or is it easy to do. It would be awesome to do that!
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/default.htm just hit the play button!

2. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

we had that in our house that we built in 2001.. i don't think it's still a trend these days though

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Probably cause of wireless, anyone else have ideas, i now remember seeing these all over my school

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Install silverlight..no thanks!

But yea, I think wireless of sorta replaced that, but my school does still have them around(nice since they won't let student laptops on the Wi-Fi)

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Same.

Uhm, If you mean have ethernet ports in your house, then yes it is possible to do it still, but requires cutting holes in your dry wall every 10-15 feet.

Basically, you'd have one cabinet (Where your ISP's cable is coming into the house), and that cable goes to your modem. Then you have a router right next to it (whether it be wired or wireless), and the ethernet cables coming in from the whole house go into that cabinet, plugging into your router.

If that's what you mean. I didn't watch the video, so I can only assume what you mean.

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Ya no silverlight for me too.

but u could set up a box that is on the out side of the wall

7. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

Depending on the way your house is, it isn't always difficult to install Ethernet wall jacks. It also depends where your cable modem is and where you want to put the jack. In my house, I ran an Ethernet cord through the empty space around the ducting.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, it's definitely possible, but it requires a bit of work. Wireless is easier as long as it's feasible for you.

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Right, it's definitely easier to have a router and the wireless adapter for the Xbox. My house has ethernet ports, but we don't use them.