iPad Pro Is this excessive... (12.9" iPad Pro advice/question)?

retta283

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I was in the market for a new iPad to replace my failed iPad 2 which was used as a media device and e-reader. I had planned at first to get the Air 3, and was seesawing between the 7th gen and Air 3. This was before I decided against purchasing another 16" MBP (Mine had some defects so I returned with the intention of repurchasing with different specs) and now I am looking more at an iPad Pro. I realized I don't really need a laptop much for what I do, and with USB-C accessories coming I could about 80% replace my laptop's usage. I still do have an older MBP for the other 20%.

Since I was looking at the Air 3 mostly beforehand, the 11" makes sense from a price standpoint. But I am afraid that I will feel buyer's remorse if I do not get the larger screen. Since I am now planning to use it as a semi laptop replacement, I feel the downgrade in size will be too much. For drawing, I'd much prefer the 12.9 too.

Do you think the 12.9 is excessive or should I go for it? I have the money to afford either, but I feel better spending less.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I was in the market for a new iPad to replace my failed iPad 2 which was used as a media device and e-reader. I had planned at first to get the Air 3, and was seesawing between the 7th gen and Air 3. This was before I decided against purchasing another 16" MBP (Mine had some defects so I returned with the intention of repurchasing with different specs) and now I am looking more at an iPad Pro. I realized I don't really need a laptop much for what I do, and with USB-C accessories coming I could about 80% replace my laptop's usage. I still do have an older MBP for the other 20%.

Since I was looking at the Air 3 mostly beforehand, the 11" makes sense from a price standpoint. But I am afraid that I will feel buyer's remorse if I do not get the larger screen. Since I am now planning to use it as a semi laptop replacement, I feel the downgrade in size will be too much. For drawing, I'd much prefer the 12.9 too.

Do you think the 12.9 is excessive or should I go for it? I have the money to afford either, but I feel better spending less.
It's excessive if you can't afford and it doesn't fit what you intend to use it for. If it's supposed to be a portable media device that you pull out on the train to watch Youtube, it might be excessive.

For me it's been awhile since I said, "You know, this viewing area is much too large for my viewing enjoyment needs".

If you think you will really be getting into the drawing part, the bigger screen will be nice. The 11" isn't that much of a step down though, and you might be inclined to use it out & about to draw as well.

The 11" can seem like a compromise if you are planning to be mobile. If mobility isn't an issue though, why wouldn't you go bigger?

This Youtuber discusses his thinking of why he made the decision he did.

Reactions: retta283

Ludatyk

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2012
Texas
As @ssledoux pointed out if you planning on using the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement majority of the times, then yeah... go for it.

But you can always go to Apple Store or Best Buy wherever you plan on buying it.. just to get a feel for the screen size. I’ve been using the 12.9” iPad Pro.. ever since Apple first introduced it. I’m familiar with it and I don’t see myself ever downgrading.

People tend to complain that portability takes a hit when using the 12.9” over the 11”, but I take mine everywhere I go.. I’m accustomed to it.

retta283

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Sadly I cannot easily get to an Apple Store or Best Buy here, or I would.

I don't plan on using it on the go particularly, but I do need it to easily fit in a bag so I can transport it with me throughout the day. I won't be pulling it out in public much, just at the different locations I go for work. Re-evaluating the financial side of this, I am actually saving a lot of money even if I get the 12.9.

My original purchase plan for mobile was 16" MBP and Air 3, so almost $3,000. If I get the 12.9 with 256GB storage, I am paying less than half of that. At this point, I think I'll go for the 12.9, but I'm still not sure how much of a difference the 1.9" makes. It would be nice to see them in person.

I might visit some family in Prescott next weekend, and I can go to Best Buy there. Don't want to wait that long, but it'll probably be worth it, so I am assured that my decision is the right one, either size.

Reactions: max2

sparksd

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I went from the 10.5 Pro to the 12.9 Pro and am really happy that I did - the larger screen is wonderful for everything I use it for. I don't find portability to be an issue at all, even when using the Logitech Slim Folio Pro case on it. But portability is completely subjective and other peoples experience are almost irrelevant.

Reactions: ChinaRye

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Sadly I cannot easily get to an Apple Store or Best Buy here, or I would.

I don't plan on using it on the go particularly, but I do need it to easily fit in a bag so I can transport it with me throughout the day. I won't be pulling it out in public much, just at the different locations I go for work. Re-evaluating the financial side of this, I am actually saving a lot of money even if I get the 12.9.

My original purchase plan for mobile was 16" MBP and Air 3, so almost $3,000. If I get the 12.9 with 256GB storage, I am paying less than half of that. At this point, I think I'll go for the 12.9, but I'm still not sure how much of a difference the 1.9" makes. It would be nice to see them in person.

I might visit some family in Prescott next weekend, and I can go to Best Buy there. Don't want to wait that long, but it'll probably be worth it, so I am assured that my decision is the right one, either size.
To me think of it in the same way you think of screen size.

Do you notice greater real estate on 12" Macbook Air to a 13"Macbook Pro? When you get a bigger monitor, do you like the greater real estate?

Ludatyk

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2012
Texas
Original idea was a 16” MBP & Air 3? And now your thinking of just a iPad Pro.

If your mindset was a 16” MBP... then a 12.9” iPad Pro shouldn’t be a problem at all. But to go from deciding against a 16” MBP to a iPad Pro, that’s a different scale.

Reactions: JayMysterio

retta283

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Original idea was a 16” MBP & Air 3? And now your thinking of just a iPad Pro.

If your mindset was a 16” MBP... then a 12.9” iPad Pro shouldn’t be a problem at all. But to go from deciding against a 16” MBP to a iPad Pro, that’s a different scale.
I decided against a second 16", because after my time with it I realized I didn't really need that power. Having that size screen on the go was nice, but I wasn't utilizing it enough for it to be worth owning. The defect just made my decision to return it easier.

I shifted gears a bit here, after a re-evaluation at what I needed for my career now, which leaves me mostly stationary. I was still thinking in terms of my old job when I purchased the 16". Now that a portable is only needed as a web browser for researching parts/instructions, there is no need for a dedicated laptop. I of course do still have my old MBP, which as said can fill in if needed.
- - Post merged: - -

To me think of it in the same way you think of screen size.

Do you notice greater real estate on 12" Macbook Air to a 13"Macbook Pro? When you get a bigger monitor, do you like the greater real estate?
On my desktop, bigger is better. There needs to be a gain in resolution with size increase though. Otherwise you're seeing the same amount of content just blown up to the larger display.

I know that the PPI is similar, but what I haven't gotten a chance to see is how much more content can be displayed on the 12.9 vs 11. For example, how much of a web page fits on the screen at one time or how big side-by-side apps can be. These are the things I'd need to compare at a store to really appreciate the difference. At this point I am leaning towards 12.9 though.

Ludatyk

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2012
Texas
I decided against a second 16", because after my time with it I realized I didn't really need that power. Having that size screen on the go was nice, but I wasn't utilizing it enough for it to be worth owning. The defect just made my decision to return it easier.
I wonder, how long did you have the 16” MBP? Obviously your definitely going to be saving some change... but I wonder though have you toyed around with iPadOS since you mention of your iPad 2 failing.

Reason I bring up iPadOS, it shines on the 12.9”... the screen real estate with SplitView, SlideOver and PiP. My sister has the 11”... and it’s just not the same at all.

retta283

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I wonder, how long did you have the 16” MBP? Obviously your definitely going to be saving some change... but I wonder though have you toyed around with iPadOS since you mention of your iPad 2 failing.

Reason I bring up iPadOS, it shines on the 12.9”... the screen real estate with SplitView, SlideOver and PiP. My sister has the 11”... and it’s just not the same at all.
So far, I have never used iPadOS. Most recent iPad i used was my friend's on iOS 11. I'm interested in experiencing the new features for myself.

I had the MBP for about 3 weeks, a little bit out of the 14-day period but they accepted my return, probably because of the obvious lid defect. Once the wow factor of having my first new MacBook in a decade wore off, I began to regret it.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Seems like you have a new iMac, so that makes 16” much less useful as its so big, really ideal as a hybrid desktop in itself. So yeah, iPad for mobile and desktop for the rest, doubt you’ll even need old mbps.

retta283

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Seems like you have a new iMac, so that makes 16” much less useful as its so big, really ideal as a hybrid desktop in itself. So yeah, iPad for mobile and desktop for the rest, doubt you’ll even need old mbps.
This was basically my thinking as well.

ggibson913

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
I had similar situation back in 2015. I went with iPad Pro and an iMac 27. Great combo.

Morrissey

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2018
San Diego, California
I have the first Gen 12.9" with the Apple Pencil, I justified that purchased because I need something light to do presentations with PowerPoint & Keynote ouro f the office, eventually I bought a Macbook Air for that task only, and keep the iPad for home.

Deanster

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Just depends on how you're going to use it. I have the current 11" ipad Pro, and the original 12.9" iPad Pro. They're both great tablets, it's just about your needs.

The current 12.9 Pro is considerably smaller than my Gen 1 version, thanks to much smaller bezels, which is a big help, the major knock on my Gen 1 is just that it's physically enormous, it really requires a bag that will fit a 13" laptop just to carry around. The 12.9 is lovely on a desk in front of me with Apple's keyboard, and the more you use it that way, the happier you'll be.

Where the 11" really shines is in total versatility. Very useful on the desk with keyboard, or without the keyboard in hand on the couch, and fits into compact spaces in a small bag when not in use. I occasionally run into situations where more screen real estate would be helpful, but nothing where I'd be able to do it on a 12.9 and just can't on the 11. Much more common to find things where a proper laptop is needed.

Long story short, if we think of iPad as having three primary modes - 1) on a desk with a keyboard, 2) in your hand on the couch, and 3) packed away in your bag, we can then compare them:

Desk - 12.9 is just amazing here, the 11 is merely very very good.

Couch/hand - 12.9 is awfully big and heavy to hold in hand, the 11 is excellent, maybe a little heavy for truly extended use.

Packed up - the 11 really shines here, it fits into some very compact backpacks, bags, purses without a fuss, where the 12.9 really demands a pretty substantial bag.

• Love
Reactions: NewWaveGuy

bobsamm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2019
Don’t get the in hand on a couch comments, it’s on your leg or lap for me, and I don’t walk around or stand for long holding a iPad.
I have a 27” iMac and a 11” pro, next one will be a 12.9”.

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Last edited:
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think 12.9 is perfect for those who want to replace their macbook/computer. For somebody who has a macbook I think 11 inch would make the most sense as it is more complete in terms of size, usage on the sofa and taking away with you. I liked my 12.9 and smart keyboard but feel for general browsing then a trackpad built in is far better,

• Love

servenvolley

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
South Carolina
Just a thought for if you prefer the MBP software over iPad IOS. I had a 2nd generation 12.9 iPad Pro. I bought a 12" Macbook on sale at Costco this Christmas and sold the iPad two weeks later as I stopped using it for the most part. This MB is better for me as I prefer MacOS over iPad IOS. I will list the use of the trackpad over touching the iPad screen as being the hardware/use-feature that tips the scales for me as well.
The main thing I miss from iPad is cellular connectivity.

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Just a thought for if you prefer the MBP software over iPad IOS. I had a 2nd generation 12.9 iPad Pro. I bought a 12" Macbook on sale at Costco this Christmas and sold the iPad two weeks later as I stopped using it for the most part. This MB is better for me as I prefer MacOS over iPad IOS. I will list the use of the trackpad over touching the iPad screen as being the hardware/use-feature that tips the scales for me as well.
The main thing I miss from iPad is cellular connectivity.
It's so funny how different people are. I can't stand using a trackpad, and will probably never own a laptop (I know I could get a mouse, but I might as well just use a desktop). When I use my iMac, I am always trying to touch the screen to do things. ;-p

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
I actually have the 12.9 and 16 as well, but took me a while to get there. I have gone for periods trying to be mostly pad only, but I don't like it. Most tasks might be *possible* to do (see dude on macstories who uses it for everything) but its often harder, and needs more steps. Also of course all depends what you spend most of the time doing on the things, but that can be hard to predict I've found.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
I went from the 10.5 Pro to the 12.9 Pro and am really happy that I did - the larger screen is wonderful for everything I use it for. I don't find portability to be an issue at all, even when using the Logitech Slim Folio Pro case on it. But portability is completely subjective and other peoples experience are almost irrelevant.
I did the exact same. I don't regret it at all. Now that the 12.9 has a much smaller footprint, its size is no longer an issue for me.