Is this for real????

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by junker, Apr 13, 2009.

1. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I'm studying web technologies and programming... I recently ran across this job advert on Craigslist (I know, I should take it with a grain of salt on Craigslist) but is this what I should look forward to?

If so, maybe I should learn some other skill - sheesh!

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Things on Craigslist tend to be on the crappier side. I've briefly perused them from time to time, but most of tends to be pitiful. Don't consider it to be typical of the field or the money you can make. $12/hr is ridiculous for what they're wanting as far as skills. They'll get what they pat for.

3. dantherevelator macrumors regular

If it wasn't telecommute they'd be wanting you to answer phones, too. :rolleyes: I think you can safely ignore a lot of the stuff like this on craigslist. These people are completely out of touch with reality.

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I think it's real, totally unrealistic but real...

Generally companies starting up "list out" their ideal candidate but totally loose the concept of 1) correct numeration 2) getting someone with that skill/expertise.

And really if they wanted someone like that they would have gone through a headhunting agency who could have correctly guided them to someone will close skill matches and would be in their budget (which isn't much).

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is a low hourly wage but also consider the area. Geographically speaking. They're paying a beginner and asking for an advanced programmer. They're out of their minds.

6. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I have my own little web design business. Go buy yourself some nice servers and charge what you want :D:D:D

7. dantherevelator macrumors regular

Sssshhh! ;)

8. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

lol! Funny you should say that... that's precisely what I thought about when I read that listing.

Sometimes I can't believe people and their ads -

As for the Geopraphical area...(edit: Raleigh NC) well, I've been here about 2 years and it's supposedly a good high-tech area - no Silicon Valley or S.F. - but it's not supposed to be shabby, per se! (BTW, I'm not defending or offended - just sayin'!)

:)

This is a new career for me (my 3rd) and this illustrates a concern I do have lurking ... will this sort of coding/web design skillsets - go the way of every other out-source-able job? I'm not looking to really work corporate, but I worry about the freelance options drying up? Can anyone calm my nerves or are they right on?

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Bottom feeders looking for out of work coders / consultants.

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

out of interest what would you expect to pay/earn for/as someone with all those skills?

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well location and experience will contribute, but if a person simply "knew" those skills I'd say they could make around $25/hr. If they had a good portfolio and showed they had years of experience in the skills, then I'd say they could earn a good $75/hr. Freelance anyways. There's so many factors though, it's hard for me to give the rationale for those numbers I gave.

12. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Fair question.... I would expect between 25.00-65.00 phr (freelance) Maybe 20-50 in corporate.

As I said in my original post, I'm on my third career (1st being a visual artist/muralist and stained glass restorationist the 2nd being house painting) Make fun of me all you want... I just followed a different path. Before you get all uppity about house painters, I had a boss who had 3 Master's Degrees in Classical english and had been a Uni. Professor for 7 years a top tier school.)

Anyway, the sad thing is, as a professional house painter I was making close to 20.00 phr working for a company - more if I get the work myself. I bid out around 35.00 phr.

I guess I'm shocked to see a professional ("high-tech") occupation with technical skills, high qualification demands, decent design skill expectations and constant learning requirements, make McDonalds wages.

I really enjoy learning all of this and I feel I've been "studying" this for years... Maybe I'm just too old for this sort of work (38) and maybe it's the type of work folks grow out of by their 30's (move into team management and creative director) but it'd be a real shame to run into this frequently in job adverts.

So, yeah - I'd hope that minimum of 20 phr, not subcontracting, would be at least an average/bottom wage for this level of knowledge and experience.

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

It'd be interesting to find out if there are really skilled people THAT desperate for steady telecommuting work (with no benefits on top of the ludicrously low pay). Doubt it.

I've never had trouble making twice that with half the skill set in the middle of nowhere, and I usually lowball. My "friends and family" rate is higher than that!