Is this going to be a problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BIrwin49, Feb 25, 2008.

1. BIrwin49 macrumors member

Okay, so my girlfriend bought an iPhone about 4 days after me. Her PC is in the shop so she activated her account using my computer and I added contacts, music, pics etc using my iTunes. When she gets her PC back, it's not going to be a problem for her to sync her iPhone on her pc etc is it?

Thanks

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

She will be able to merge her contacts, but everything else will be wiped when she syncs to her computer. But contacts are the most important thing.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

This was posted earlier...

" Syncing on 2 Computers
    I have a Apple computer at home and a PC at work. I can sync my iPhone with both, well merge is more like it.

Under the info tab, you have the option to control what to sync. For my Mac, I choose contacts, calander, and my safari bookmarks. You have similar tabs to control photos, music, and videos. Based on your message, I think you already know this but wanted to right it down for completeness.

When you sync the first time, the computer and iPhone will be syncronized.

Now, when you go to your second computer. In my case, a PC running Windows XP SP2. I'm using Outlook to manage by calendars and contacts on this PC. You go to the info tab and only select the calendar and contacts for syncing. When you sync, the system ask whether to merge or overwrite the information on my iPhone. You need to MERGE the information. You continue to use the Merge option when syncing between the computers.

This approach works for me. There may be some issues with the initial merge, like duplicate entries the first time the machines are synced. You can either delete the duplicates or delete all the entries on one of the devices. In my case, I choose to have the Mac as the master. All my Outlook (i.e. work appointments) were already in the iCalendar. Therefore, I deleted all my contact and calendar entries on Outlook to initialize the process.

Using this approach, I'm able to sync on 2 machines. My music, photos, and videos are completely controlled on my Mac while my calendar and contacts are essentially merged together."

Hope this helps --- Thanks to "louielui" for posting this---:cool:

4. BIrwin49 thread starter macrumors member

Could we not do this...

Get all of her songs off her iPhone and put them on iTunes and then when she syncs, even if it wipes it out, she already has those songs that she got from my pc on her iTunes?

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

You can authorize upto 5 computers on one account, so if you let her use your account and use one of the authorizations, then transfer your library to her computer so that they mirror each other, then you will not have a problem. If she has her own account then all music/videos on the iPhone will be removed.

Hope that answers your question