is this good ram for macbook? - quick look

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chuck-Norris, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

2. Maczor macrumors regular

My personal advice is to go with OWC. I have 16 GB of OWC RAM in my 15" cMBP and it's working just fine ( since April this year )... I gave Corsair a shot before going with OWC and it was quite a fail. The sticks were bad, kernel was panicking a lot.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

so the quality is no different?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope. It is a commodity. There are only a handful of companies that truly make RAM and they sell it to others who rebrand. The previously mentioned OWC, for example, certainly does not make RAM. They buy it from Micron or whoever and slap their label on it. Same with whoever Team is.

As long as you buy RAM somewhere you can exchange it if it does not work and has a warranty, just shop for the best price.

There is nothing wrong with OWC RAM, they are just jacking the price way up and convincing people somehow it is special Mac RAM. Nothing special about it.

6. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Cheap ram is fine but I just have a rule of avoiding brands that I've never heard of. Another rule to keep in mind is "you get what you pay for."

I just got some corsair RAM on amazon and it works great.

7. Maczor macrumors regular

That is true, but the story has more sides to it... Apple doesn't produce it's products either... they just other stuff and slap their logo on it. The big difference is that certain companies have a public image that they protected / maintain. What does this mean? I means that a known company is more likely to pay attention to defective parts ( either by increasing QA or by offering good support and return options ) than an unknown company who doesn't really care.

Not saying that "everything from a mighty brand is perfect", of course they can also send out faulty components... but chances are, you'll at least have someone to talk to and get the problem fixed if it were to happen... whereas with some other brand, you're most likely stuck with what you've got.

Everyone should decide for himself which approach is better... In my experience: being cheap pays off less than paying a "decent" price for a product from a known brand. That's also one of the reasons why people prefer to pay the extra for Apple products...

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Its' the same as HDMI cables, there's no need to spend $200 on one when the $5 version functions exactly the same.

9. Maczor macrumors regular

That's also silly... $200 HDMI cable for sure is not the same as an 5$ one.
    There are HDMI cables of different speeds and plating...

It might not make a huge difference for the "average user", but saying "it's the same", is just plain silly...

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't disagree in principle with what you said, which is why I included the below cautionary note in my comment.

----------

That is not what he said the the HDMI analogy is a very good one. If two, six foot HDMI cables meet the same spec (HDMI 1.4 for example) the $5 cable will function the same as the $200 one. He did not say the were the same... he said they function the same.

11. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

You don't pay extra for the ram, you pay for how easy it would be to get your warranty filled if it breaks.

If the difference between a named brand and something you never heard of is $10 or even $20, I'd gladly pay for the headache insurance.