Is this graphics card comparison accurate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by definitive, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Looks about right, care to go into more detail about what you're looking for?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks about right. 9600M GT is a bit better than the 8600M GT, but not by much.

3. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Yeah, sad that Apple used a tier 2 graphics card in their 'latest and greatest' laptops... Not that the 9600 isn't good, it's just not a top tier card. Sigh.

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

It will be an upgrade to the nVida geforce 6150 integrated graphics on my Windows desktop no? haha.

5. xilni macrumors member

xilni

=( My current laptop has a Geforce Go 7800 GTX. Downgrade to the new 9600GT?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... you are NOT downgrading by any sense.

7. xilni macrumors member

xilni

Asides from gaining DirectX10, more memory and possibly lower power draw. It definitely seems like it has less computing power.

8. relativist macrumors regular

Yes, that's a good site for comparing GPU's. If you notice the 9600 has about twice the FLOPS as the 8600, that's what's going to count with CUDA type uses for GPU's. I'm wondering what the nVidia roadmap is for mobile GPU's. One thing that might help us get a better GPU in Macbook Pro's is the fact that the next mobile cpu is going to change the FSB and lower the power needed overall by about 10 Watts. It looks the the Apple philosophy is to take limit the GPU you put in by the thermal envelope. So the fact that the 9600m GT takes 23 Watts and the 9800m GT takes 65 Watts could be a big reason it's not in the Macbook Pro.

I've not been able to find anything about the nVidia roadmap for mobile GPU's. It would be nice to know if nVidia was planning to update their mobile GPU's this year, hopefully the economy hasn't slowed them down.