Is this hardware or software?

planktons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
From time to time my work MBP will crap out and give me these weird graphic artifacts. It's my company's laptop, and IT keeps telling me it's a software problem. Is it or can it be a hardware thing (maybe overheating)?

Attachments

planktons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the help so far, guys. This just happened again. External display also produces the glitches (after waiting for quite some time for the laptop to start sending a signal out).

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the help so far, guys. This just happened again. External display also produces the glitches (after waiting for quite some time for the laptop to start sending a signal out).
OK this says it's NOT the notebook's LCD panel.

So now it's either software or the GPU hardware.

Next step: Restore OS to last known-to-be-good image, or reload OS from scratch.

DoubleVision19

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
I agree with T5BRICK with running with AHT on your unit...as long you still have Snow Leopard installed; when powering on the unit, hold down on the "D" key to enter AHT mode to run the tests.

Are you able to boot to an external drive with a pristine imaged copy of OSX? If you are getting the same issues, it will be leading towards a "intermittent" problem with the logic board.