Is this how AT&T is going to do MMS?!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hartazo, Jun 18, 2009.

1. hartazo macrumors newbie

I just received this text message. I verified with the person that sent it to me, that it was sent as a normal MMS message. (That person didn't know I had an iPhone and can't receive MMS messages.) Is this how MMS's are going to be with AT&T? I hope not. The message ID and password are just a computer generated alpha-numeric sequence. I'm just glad 3.0 now has copy and paste!! If you go to the viewmymessage.com/2 site, you will see it has AT&T's logo and says, "Welcome to viewmymessage.com. If you received a text message directing you to this site, then someone has sent you a multimedia message. To view your message, enter the personal password that was included in your text message." I just hope this is temporarily how MMS will work, and that it will soon work on the iPhone like on any other phone.

Attached Files:

• mms.jpg
      mms.jpg
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
  2. The General macrumors 601

No. Thats what happens when you dont have MMS and someone sends you an MMS. It's been that way for 2 years now on the iPhone.

3. WolverineGuy macrumors member

at least you're getting that. I don't even get a notification. ATT insists that iphone 3.0 users will not get ANY notification about MMS messages until the system switches over. Which, I'm sure, is a lie.

4. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

Gotta be a lie, I have gotten like 3 or 4 of the notifications so far since yesterday.

5. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Do you have a custom IPCC file installed? Someone from AT&T was explaining to me how viewmymessage.com works and apparently the IPCC allowing MMS makes the phone report that it supports MMS so the viewmymessage.com website doesn't get involved in the process... but see the problem is since MMS is blocked on most iPhone accounts, the MMS just doesn't go through (even though their systems think that it does).

This is primarily a problem when getting MMS messages from other carriers, as supposedly within AT&T's own network MMS messages are handled slightly differently (so if a rep sends you a test MMS it should work with no problems even if it doesn't work otherwise).

6. hartazo thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Because I can't even guess how many times people have sent me MMS's before. This was the first time I got any type of notification. Before, the only time I would ever know that someone sent me an MMS was when that person would later mentioned it, or sent me an SMS asking why I didn't reply to the MMS. Then, I would have to explain that as advances as some would like the iPhone to be, it can't send or receive MMS's. Who know's how many MMS's I got before and never knew about it?!

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

The IPCC has nothing to do with how your iPhone talks to the network. It's a setting in your account through AT&T that needs to be changed to send you the actual picture rather than the link method. They're not doing it right now though.

8. adampol15 macrumors member

adampol15

[​IMG]

Where have you been for the past two years???

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Dunno what to tell you. That's exactly how I've received MMS messages for the last TEN years!

10. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

If this were true then nobody would be getting any MMS messages. I still don't, but other people still do. SOMETHING is different, and it's not on AT&T's end because I've called them multiple times about it. I still stand by what the tech guy told me, makes more sense then "it just doesn't work."

11. monksealpup macrumors regular

This has been discussed many times. You need to enable MMS support on the phone (support is built into the OS, but there's still a toggle to turn it on). This requires the hacked .ipcc file for AT&T at the moment.

Then there's a separate issue of the carrier supporting it. AT&T (the carrier) supports MMS, obviously, but not on the iPhone. The "block" people are talking about is a block one can put on a number to prevent all MMS (or SMS) from coming in (in case people are messaging you and running up your bill to be a$$holes, for example). This block is NOT on your account unless you asked for it!

Finally, if you are on an iPhone Messaging Plan (200, 1500, or Unlimited), it blocks MMS send and receive (and you get the SMS go to this website with this login/password text message). *IF* you can convince them to change it to a "standard text messaging plan" (i.e. not iPhone specific -- basically for all other phones), it will allow MMS through and that's how those of us who have it got it. We called last week and requested it. Since 3.0 came out Wednesday, EVERYONE has been bombarding AT&T cust. serv. and they've just resorted to telling people they aren't going to do it so people quit bugging them.

Life's tough. There are some "hacks" where you get a "regular phone", plug in your SIM, the network detects it and you change your registered phone through AT&T's site (from iPhone to whatever the MMS capable phone is). This changes the text messaging plan, too. Then you put the SIM back in the iPhone and win... in theory (not tested by this author).