Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Just simply copy/paste the photos library file to an external HDD?

When I double clicked on it, it just opens in the Photos app is there no way to have them photos in their original format like *.jpeg so they can be backed up but also viewed on any other computer (Windows)?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
You can copy the Photo library across sure, but you will still need to make use of Photos app to read them.

Have you considered exporting the pictures (if you really need to view them outside of the Apple ecosystem)?

Reactions: Super Spartan1

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
You can copy the Photo library across sure, but you will still need to make use of Photos app to read them.

Have you considered exporting the pictures (if you really need to view them outside of the Apple ecosystem)?
Sorry this is the first time I use a Mac. How to export them? and would they keep the Album Hierarchy when exported?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
You are required to select each picture you wish to export. This can be time consuming, and it will not maintain the folder structure.

Alternatively, you can look at some third party products that can do this on your behalf.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"When I double clicked on it, it just opens in the Photos app is there no way to have them photos in their original format like *.jpeg so they can be backed up but also viewed on any other computer (Windows)?"

That's because the Photos "library" is kind of proprietary and is not "user-friendly" insofar as opening and viewing the pics inside. It cannot be done easily "outside of" Photos.

That means it's NOT going to be easy to locate and view the pics using Windows.

As mentioned above, if you want the pics to be viewable elsewhere (some other app instead of Photos), you need to EXPORT them first.

You also wrote:
"would they keep the Album Hierarchy when exported?"

Not sure how Photos handles this.
As DoFo mentioned, there may be some 3rd-party apps that can help with this.

Personal experience:
I DO NOT want ANY photo application to "manage" where and how my pic library is constructed.
I "do that myself" with a hierarchy of folders/files that I CREATE MYSELF.
I then use ONLY "referenced" libraries with my photo-handling apps.
That means the library is always easily "manipulated" by me, outside of any photo-handling app.

Last edited:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Personal experience:
I DO NOT want ANY photo application to "manage" where and how my pic library is constructed.
I "do that myself" with a hierarchy of folders/files that I CREATE MYSELF.
I then use ONLY "referenced" libraries with my photo-handling apps.
That means the library is always easily "manipulated" by me, outside of any photo-handling app.
During your testing to come up with this manual system, did you ever try out NAS variants (Synology, et al) which work in a similar fashion, but have a pretty app/interface to view said folder structure? I've recently moved away from Aperture to something similar and am enjoying it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"During your testing to come up with this manual system, did you ever try out NAS variants"

Never used NAS.
No need for it.
It might be worth visiting the CCC (Bombich) site, they have lots of tips/instructions, etc.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Click on Library/photos in the sidebar, which will show every photo in the Photos library. Select all. From the menu, you can then select File / Export / Unmodified Originals (or export the edited versions, which will convert to jpeg where necessary). Just export the entire lot to your backup drive.

Another way, shut Photos and copy the library. The photos are all in there, and if you need to restore everyhing you can simply alt-click the Photos app and select your backup library. Also, in Finder if you right-click the library and do Show Package Contents, all your photos are there in various subfolders of Originals. So if you need to restore, you can do that with the backup copy of your library and find the photo/s you're interested in and import them back. Or copy them somewhere else outside the library.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
That's because the Photos "library" is kind of proprietary and is not "user-friendly" insofar as opening and viewing the pics inside. It cannot be done easily "outside of" Photos.

Not 100% sure, but I believe the library is basically a normal directory and only behaves differently on macOS.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Click on Library/photos in the sidebar, which will show every photo in the Photos library. Select all. From the menu, you can then select File / Export / Unmodified Originals (or export the edited versions, which will convert to jpeg where necessary). Just export the entire lot to your backup drive.

Another way, shut Photos and copy the library. The photos are all in there, and if you need to restore everyhing you can simply alt-click the Photos app and select your backup library. Also, in Finder if you right-click the library and do Show Package Contents, all your photos are there in various subfolders of Originals. So if you need to restore, you can do that with the backup copy of your library and find the photo/s you're interested in and import them back. Or copy them somewhere else outside the library.
Also true, they are there but I don’t think the folder structure is too obvious. Something similar to iTunes from memory.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I am not sure if this will work but...
-open Finder
-Choose your Photos library/directory
-type "a" in the search bar
-bellow should appear a filter bar says "Search: This Mac"
-on your far right you will see a "+" sign, click it
-a new filter appears, for the first field choose "Kind" for the second choose" Images"
-delete the "a" in the search bar and hit enter.

Supposedly all the images will show, now drag and drop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.