Is this how Microsoft does business?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chp5592, Feb 4, 2008.

1. chp5592 macrumors regular

I sent in the requisite forms for my upgrade 2008 promotion in late November 2007. Not having heard from them, I sent them an e-mail early last week.

(MS first reply) We don't have any records of any submission. --- (My reply) I sent the forms. I have copy proof.

(MS second reply) Did you send in information with tracking? --- Which I didn't. Never said on the forms to do that

(MS third reply) We are not responsible for lost mail, etc... ---- Here's my proof, I sent them PDF copies of my mailing

(MS fourth reply) Sorry, cannot accept anything electronic. We are not responsible, Sorry.

At this point, I had just had it. This e-mailing back and forth took a better part of the week.

I called them last week. They had no records of my mailing which they found odd. They said they will "look" for it and to call back in two weeks.

I have very little hope of getting my upgrade to 2008. I am very upset to say the least. Anyone have any ideas on how to kick this up the chain of command or something else?

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

:rolleyes:

Same goes with Vista...

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

They pulled this when I had my Xbox. I was signed up for Live, and then canceled. Only they kept billing for 4 months, even after repeated attempts to get them to stop. I canceled the credit card. After that, they started sending paper statements sayign they needed a new form of payment. Every time I called in "we have no record of your... blah blah"

I opened a BBB complaint, sold my xbox on eBay, and washed my hands of the whole ball of sh*t those dungbeetles in Redmond have rolled up.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

6. jwt macrumors 6502

In my opinion you earned that upgrade, but they or the mail F'd up. In either case you still earned, regardless if the system didn't work in your favor. Pirate a copy. What's the financial difference to MS between them sending you a legitimate free copy, and you just pirating something you rightfully earned? Nothing.

In any case, my dad is going through the same crap with them as we speak. So, to answer your question: Yes, this is how they do business. So why should you feel any ethical responsibility to obtain your copy legitimately from a company that doesn't know the first thing about ethics?

7. sethro macrumors newbie

Well put sir... well put.

8. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Should have sent it certified mail. They really aren't responsible for lost mail. What do you expect them to do? Honestly, not all mail that is sent actually makes it to its destination.

Any time I send in a mail-in rebate for over $20 I send it certified mail. Then, they can't claim the "we didn't get it." Unfortunately for you, you can't prove they did.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In Microsoft's defense... all US companies outsource rebate management, don't they? I've never heard of them dealing with this using in-house staff.

10. chp5592 thread starter macrumors regular

Take that as fact, for that possibility, I made copies of everything. Now they are not even willing accept copies of the mailing as proof...

I will see what they say when I call them later in the week. If they still claim no responsibilities, I may have to give Mr. Gates a call....

11. bada$$ macrumors newbie

thats why i got a mac (bad service along with vista)