Is this how to export Midi as Audio?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Soundburst, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys. . .I've just bought Logic Studio and have a basic question.

I have used Pro Tools all through my degree and to export a MIDI track as an Audio track (rather than just the midi information). . .you created a new audio track, set the "Send" of the midi track to the audio track. . . and set the Input of the audio track as the MIDI track.

Then you select record on the new audio track and played the midi track into it.

Is this exactly what you do in Logic Studio too?

Thanks for your help.

P.S (I'm loving the manuals that come with Logic Studio - Pro Tools give you absolutely nothing!)

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm a beginner, far from expert, but my understanding is that in Logic you can use a MIDI track just as if it were audio. You apply pan, gain and eq send the signal to filters and whatever and so on and if you like (mostly) forget that it is midi. To me that is one of Logic;s good points is that "a track is a track"

At least it seems you can do this. I wonder of the pros find reason to do as you describe.

Logic does allow you to "freeze" a track which has the effect of converting midi to audio but this addresses CPU speed and performance issues and is different from what you describe