Is this illegal?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fud122, Mar 29, 2008.

1. fud122 macrumors member

Thinking of selling my 17" MBP 2.33Ghz model and getting a smaller 15" new MBP instead. Now I have a legal, purchased copy (retail) of Windows Vista Home Premium. I had it installed on my MBP but went back to XP because of some issues but my question is can I install it on my new MBP if I get one without any problems or does the Microsoft hardware checker prevent me from doing so? Will Microsoft force me to buy a new license?

I would hate the fact that my retail copy of vista would be useless because it was previously installed. What are my options? Thank you.

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

No issues with installing it on your new computer as long as it's only on one computer at a time.

3. fud122 thread starter macrumors member

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Retail copies are transferable. Just uninstall it from the other MBP. If you have problems activating it, call MS.

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

wow thats weird i used xp on 3 computers with the same key

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Haha... ya you can do it, it's just not "legal" :]

7. supercooled macrumors 6502a

It also helps that you don't have a moral compass. Yeah right.

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't know what part of putting "legal" in quotes made you want to attack my morality.

Chill out man. You have no idea whether or not I steal software. And even if I did, basing someone's morality on whether or not they pirate software is pretty shallow.