Is this iMac a good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFalcon, Nov 20, 2010.

1. iFalcon, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

iFalcon macrumors regular

Just a few weeks ago we purchased a mac mini from Craigslist for myself.

We'd decided to purchase an iMac for my wife's office. I have dibs on a local one from Craigslist for $750. I've already looked at it and is in mint condition. I thought it seemed like a pretty good price, but understand it's not the newest model.

She is only using it my basic word processing, email, browsing, weekend warrior for pics and family videos.

C2D 3.06
    21.5 LED
    Nivida 9400GS
    Wireless apple keyboard and magic mouse
    iLife '11
    iWork '09
    1 year warrantly though December 2010
    Extended through December 2011.

** update **
    I believe the same type of build from the refurb has been $910 + tax.
    An i3 21.5 is 1019 + tax.

I appreciate your time and input.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Is the seller also including the installation discs for iLife and iWork? Even without, and with the warranty it still sounds like a good deal especially if it's in mint condition. It sounds ideal for your wife's office.

Do you know how much RAM it has in it?

3. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it includes original installation disks. Confirmed it myself as well as original packing and packing material.

It's also the ilife family pack.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does it also include the disc for iLife? Seems to be a decent deal, I would go for it.

5. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

It includes the original SL disk, original ilife disk, full DVD iLife 11 including box, and full DVD iwork 09 and box.

It's been rarely used and not a single scratch that I could find.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then it's a great deal. Often auctions don't include the disc which makes it illegal to include it in the auction because you are not giving the license (i.e. you are copying a license which is against EULA).

iLife and iWork are already more than 150 bucks so the real thing only costs you around 800 bucks

7. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

You mention 800, but he will take 750. I could be math challenged today, but how did you come up with costing me 800?

Take care and appreciate the input.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Damn, I remembered it cost 900$! :eek: My bad, then it's only 600$ for the iMac, even better ;)

9. the vj macrumors 6502a

Buy it!

If the Mac works and still under warranty is a bargain.

I would get a wired keyboard and mouse, I do not like battery replacement = too much trash.

10. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

The Mac works and functions perfectly. I even verified the serial number does in fact have extended warrantly.

Good thinking about the wired. I may pick up a cheap Logitech mouse. Not real keen on the low profile magic mouse, but may work fine for my wife.

I'm picking it up this afternoon. I thought this was a bargain compared to what I saw on Ebay for a similar build, but typically WITHOUT iLife 11 and iWorks.

If necessary, we get Office for the Mac for $9 through work. Hopefully iWorks will suffice.

Thanks all and have a great weekend.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Enjoy your purchase. Don't forget to budget for backup solutions for both iMac and Mini e.g. external hard drives, Time Capsule etc... :)

12. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

I'll probably need to buy VMware Fusion. The only reason is for Quicken. I hear the Mac version is less than stellar.

I was hoping we could get by without any Windows.

13. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

Looking for additional input guys and gals.

Our $750 iMac 3.06 purchase has been great. A person at work offered to buy it from us for 850. A $100 profilt.

The only reason this came up in the conversation is I mentioned that I wondered if we should have purchased a refurb i3 for 1019 + tax (1080) total. I'm always 2nd guessing myself.

Would we see much of an improvement with the i3 for basic web surfing, iPhoto, iMovie, and basic word processing. Not sure it would be even worth it considering our uses as well as the great deal we got on the 3.06 iMac.

Thoughts?

14. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I doubt you would really notice much of a difference if any for just the basic stuff.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

16. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input all.

Have a nice holiday.