Is this imac in to date?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cootersgarage6, Dec 27, 2010.

1. cootersgarage6, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi I am getting an iMac from my stepdad for web disgn on iWeb and things like that. Here Are the specs
    2.4 GHz
    2GB
    Of ram
    Intel core 2 duo
    250 gb harddrive.

I just wanted to know if this iMac is still okay to run dAily for like 3-4 years? Or is it barley getting by

Thanks

2. easepease macrumors regular

it'll do the job, but whats the price on it? I assume its used, if the price is anywhere in the $1000 range then take a look at the refurb store for a 21.5 inch i3. All depends on your budget and what the one you are looking at would cost ya

3. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

If you do decide to purchase it, I would advise replacing the 2x1GB of RAM with 2x2GB as you will really notice the difference.

By today's standards, the hard drive is rather small, but unless you are putting a lot of music and photos on it, you should be fine. For example, OS X Snow Leopard and about 20 albums worth of music plus Photoshop CS3 takes up around 25Gb (it is actually WoW that takes up the rest of the room on my HDD - about 20Gb it seems). The simple solution to a potential lack of storage space is to buy an external HDD enclosure with a FW800 (or FW400 at a pinch) connector and put a cheap 1TB HDD such as a WD Caviar Green in it.

If you are running Leopard on it and have the original install disks, you may consider an upgrade to Snow Leopard - it is relatively cheap to buy the Upgrade CD.

Since you are almost certainly out of warranty and out of AppleCare period, here is a site with guides for things like replacing the memory or upgrading the internal HDD - http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iMac_Intel

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

I use it for those tasks.
    It's not super fast but it's a gooder