Is this iMac something that would work well for what I need?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OneBlueSky, Jul 10, 2012.

1. OneBlueSky macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

Forgive me if this is the wrong section, I couldn't quite decide where I should post this.

I have a guy offering to straight trade me his 2009 iMac 21.5 inch for my Windows desktop. Sounds like a dream deal for most people I guess? But the thing is, my Windows machine is far beyond it spec-wise, and cost a fair bit more. I'm only considering it because my Windows machine is overkill for me now. Specs for both follow. I'm mainly curious if this model iMac is getting "long in the tooth" or wouldn't be a wise choice to use over the next 2 or 3 years.

Windows Machine (7, 64bit)
    3.4GHz Intel i7
    NVIDIA graphics with 2GB VRAM
    16GB RAM
    6TB total internal storage

iMac 21.5 inch (Has Lion)
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB

Now, I realize that my current machine is far, far more powerful and better as far as a workhorse. But it's really overkill for what I do. Most of the time, honestly I simply listen to music, browse the web, email ( a lot ), edit home videos, and watch Netflix. My only concern is the fact that I am not Mac savvy at all. I don't know if those specs are decent when it comes to running OS X or the applications I'd need to do what I want. My Windows machine is less than 6 months old, and there's no worry of it being obsolete in the next several years, so I'd feel a bit stupid to trade if the iMac will be useless by 2013 basically. However I also am aware that Windows machines drop in value like a rock. Now that I am tempted by the Mac world, it's not like I could sell this machine and just go buy a new one.

The call of OS X is hard to resist! But I just wanted to be sure it's not a machine I'll regret trading for. Thanks for your time! :eek:

2. nagareru macrumors regular

If I was you I would not do it. That imac can break tomorrow and you will find yourself paying $200+ for any repair that it needs. Keep your computer, that iMac will not bring anything good to you over your pc.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

Is your Windows PC an OEM or a custom build? If it's a custom build and you notice that your needs can be satisfied by a lower spec machine that's older but still capable, then I would consider the trade. My current iMac is the 2009 20" 2.66GHz C2D and I love it. I just maxed out the RAM and replaced the stock 320GB HDD with a Seagate 3TB HDD. It suits all my needs from email, school, handbrake video conversions and serving as my iTunes and other media hub. Since I can also upgrade to ML when it does out, I know that my computer is not obsolete and so the iMac that you're tempted to trade for would also not be obsolete.

The iMac will definitely last longer than 2013 and will be more than adequate for your computing needs, but the problems you're going to run into will be the noticeable decrease in speed and if you have a lot of video/audio/picture files taking up a lot of space on your current Windows setup, then you'll need to find an external solution or replace the HDD(which only cost me $50 for the replacement and another $50 for a HDD docking station so that I could do the cloning myself. That iMac is also maxed out on RAM and even though it has OS X Lion on it now, it is linked to that person's AppleID and so you would have to get it with Snow Leopard on it and then either buy Lion or wait for the release of Mountain Lion(since you can upgrade to ML from either SL or Lion).

I switched to my iMac from a 9-month old Gateway desktop and the energy savings and noise reduction were very noticeable and an added bonus to "the loss" that I took on my tower setup that technically had better specs as well. I have never regretted to move I made an I don't think you will either.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I wouldn't do it. Try selling your PC and buying a current mac with Applecare. Core 2 duo is old technology you probably won't have the most enjoyable experience a few years done the road and that can break any day now. If your PC breaks it's under warranty or you can open up the case to fix the issue. Two things you cannot do on the imac.

I take it you don't really need the 6tb of storage or you'll use a NAS.

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

If you can, ask for some cash along with the trade. The iMac with core 2 duo is a little long in the tooth if you want to keep it another 3 years.

If you do a lot of film editing, the iMac core 2 duo will be slower than the PC you have.

If you want a good, fun Apple OS X experience, just sell your PC and buy a current iMac.

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I would not do it. There is no point in downgrading in my opinion. Especially since you'd be doing so at a loss. Keep your current machine. Besides. Your needs might change. That and your Windows machine is a lot more capable than that iMac could ever hope to be.