Is this iOS 5 or my Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Melodeath, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I just got my 4S and just set it up. I was scrolling through the available ringtones when I noticed that some of the entries/words looked more grey/less black than others. The ones towards the middle of the screen were more grey, while the words at the top and bottom were a dark black. It's subtle, but definitely noticeable.

Is my screen defective in the left middle area, or is this a "feature" of iOS5 to "highlight" some words?

I notice the same thing in the Settings menu. If "Sounds" is at the top, and "FaceTime" is at the bottom, Wallpaper, General, and iCloud are all slightly less black than the rest of the entries.

Is your iPhone the same? Are there any screen tests I can do to see if my screen is defective?

Thanks

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I think the edges of the screen dim a bit in certain setting windows

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is more towards the middle of the screen, vertical-wise

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

A way to tell is take a screenshot of the screen you're on (Home button + Power at the same time) and then import it into iPhoto or something, And look at the screenshot on the computer.

If it is the OS, you will notice the same thing on the computer, if it isn't, then it's time for a trip to Apple.

5. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

6. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

:eek:
    I want whatever you just smoked and or took.

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Wow, I feel dizzy. Gotta stop drinking.....

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I could have swore I hadn't emptied that bottle of Cabernet....yet!

9. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

Bartender... I'll have what he's having.

10. jjlannoo Suspended

make mine a double!

11. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

So epic I had to grab a bit for my signature.

12. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wtf haha. I thought I was drunk, but then realized I've only had one beer

13. tygrubb macrumors regular

I do not see this behavior on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5, nor have I seen it on any version of iOS on any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that I've encountered.

Methinks you might have a screen defect. Make repeated tests under different lighting conditions to make sure it's not an artifact of where you happen to be (e.g., overhead light source where you typically sit causing a subtle glare in that particular spot). If the anomaly is present under a variety of conditions, I would consider it a screen defect and ask Apple for an exchange.

14. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm tired, but the effect already seems to be less now that the phone has actually been on for over 2 hours. Maybe it's an effect of the glue? (though that usually causes yellow tints)

I'll check again tomorrow and for the next few days

When i first saw it, I definitely thought it was just an air bubble or smudge on the screen protector that comes on the phone, but then I noticed ti again even after I had taken it off

15. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

That's easy for you to say.

16. cursedearth macrumors member

My thoughts exactly.

Problem solved please close thread .

17. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

for srsly? that's common sense? I thought I was the only one :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bfX66LLQRY4

18. spikefood macrumors regular

Voted +1 Sorry op your thread has been derailed.

On topic: This is all you need to know:

19. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Double post. Damn refresh

20. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok the problem seems to be back. In a long entry like "Mail, Contacts, Calendars," I can clearly see some letters are darker than others, and it changes based on where it is on the screen. The closest Apple Store is a 3 hour drive...

21. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Haha sorry OP for thread jacking. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to sneak that train wreck phrase in there in your thread.

But no, to answer your question, it might be your screen. Mine is uniformally even in all areas.

22. tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

I see you're using Siri to dictate your forum posts.

23. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok now I literally cant tell if it's the screen or if it's smudges from fingerprints causing it. Ughh

24. stevemiller macrumors 65832

That phrase reminds me of this program I wrote in uni that could analyze preexisting text patterns and then randomly generate new text based on it. In this case it sounds like you fed it every angry rant ever posted to this forum. :p