Is this job application spam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Jul 15, 2009.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I got this email just now and I am applying for jobs at the moment (laid off) but I've never heard of this company before. It'd be a perfect way to get my information (plus some references' numbers) so I'm not so willing to fill it out. It also sounds very generic.

Should I reply and ask them more specifics about the job position (location, hours, phone number) or ignore the email all together? I've been looking since December and I have no leads as of yet. On the one hand if I don't reply I could be missing out on this job opportunity thus getting me out of unemployment, but on the other hand they could be just scammers and an email from me would confirm my address and I could be bombarded with spam.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I think a lot of bots can crawl through Monster and the other job search boards and find your e-mail, then send you one of these. I wouldn't fill it out, personally.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wouldn't fill it out for sure. Smells fishy.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They have a website...With contact info (Ironic how the website talks about stopping spam) They have a non 1-800 number, you could that or your local BBB.

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

did they provide a website and contact number in the email itself?

so far, it sounds like a complete scam.

6. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

What's their website?

The email came from the domain yourhr-services.com which actually redirects to careerbuilder.com. A google seach of Global Business Solutions yeilds a few companies - none which are close to where I actually live.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I just google searched it. Given that email I'd say scam, but you could always call the info I got off of google:
    Global Business Solutions, Inc.
    916 Monmouth Street Newport, KY 41071
    View a map of our location

(T): 859.491.5900
    (F): 859.491.5985
    If you would like to request

8. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Nope.

9. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, that's the one I found too. I might call but seeing as Kansas and Kentucky are too far of a commute I might just pass. :p

Thanks for the help guys!

10. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Obviously fake then. A real company would provide true contact information such as location, website, and contact number.

Usually they will provide a direct contact, along with a full title of the person, their number, fax number, email address, etc.

Job hunting's tought, but you still need to be extra careful. Delete the email, and continue your search. Good luck with the job hunt. :)

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This sounds like a total scam. No way would I fill that out and return it.

12. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

It may not be a 'scam' but it sure doesn't look like any org who you'd want your personal info going to.